For 70 years, Charles River employees have worked together to assist in the discovery, development and safe manufacture of new drug therapies. When you join our family, you will have a significant impact on the health and well-being of people across the globe. Whether your background is in life sciences, finance, IT, sales or another area, your skills will play an important role in the work we perform. In return, we'll help you build a career that you can feel passionate about.Job Summary
We are seeking an Environmental Health & Safety Specialist
for our CRADL
Facilities in Cambridge, MA
and South San Francisco, CA
; individual may be based in either location.
The responsibilities are:
• Establish, administer, and update specific EH&S programs for compliance with state and federal Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), Department of Transportation (DOT) and other regulations as necessary. Manage OSHA and EPA records and maintain reporting and documentation standards.
• Provide initial and periodic safety and environmental training to employees and CRADL clients as required.
• Inspect the facilities for compliance with OSHA and EPA regulations as applicable.
• Periodic observations of CRADL clients performing work with hazards to ensure post-IACUC approval compliance. Liaise with clients for work consultations and recommendations for studies.
• Assist in the development of EH&S programs and metrics.
• Perform documented risk assessments for the IS business.
• Oversee maintenance of group training manual, in-person training, and training records.
• Develop and ensure adherence to pertinent regulatory requirements and to departmental policies, practices and procedures (SOPs, safety procedures, biosafety protocols, biohazard and medical waste).
• Serve as an EHS pre-reviewer for all CRADL IACUC protocols
• Assist in CRADL AAALAC Accreditation process for all existing and new sites
• Assist in evaluation of potential ergonomic concerns and provide suggestions for solutions.
• Manage the hazardous waste (RCRA) and medical waste disposal function.
• Assist management team in emergency response and function as EH&S Emergency Coordinator for 24-hour incident response.
• Assist in the investigation of injuries resulting in lost time claims and/or safety violations and property damage.
• Request and maintain necessary facility permit, licenses and compliance reports to federal, local and state regulatory authorities for all CRADL sites and ensure new sites are permitted and in compliance appropriate for the region.
• Assist in the basis of design of new CRADL facilities. Job Qualifications
About Insourcing Solutions
- Education: Bachelor's degree (B.A./B.S.) or equivalent in Environmental Science, Environmental Engineering or related discipline.
- Experience:Four or more years related experience in Environmental Health & Safety.
- An equivalent combination of education and experience may be accepted as a satisfactory substitute for the specific education and experience listed above.
- Experience supporting laboratory animal facilities preferred. Experience in multiple state regulations, including California, preferred.
- Other: Ability to interpret federal and state regulation and apply them to address compliance solutions as required. Effective writing, organizational and time management skills.
Charles River Insourcing Solutions℠ can streamline research by delivering operational and cost efficiencies through the strategic insourcing of GMP, GLP and non-GLP research services from discovery through safety assessment. Insourcing Solutions℠ provides you with the ability to maintain control of your facility and expertise while leveraging available space.About Charles River
Charles River is an early-stage contract research organization (CRO). We have built upon our foundation of laboratory animal medicine and science to develop a diverse portfolio of discovery and safety assessment services, both Good Laboratory Practice (GLP) and non-GLP, to support clients from target identification through preclinical development. Charles River also provides a suite of products and services to support our clients' clinical laboratory testing needs and manufacturing activities. Utilizing this broad portfolio of products and services enables our clients to create a more flexible drug development model, which reduces their costs, enhances their productivity and effectiveness to increase speed to market.
With over 17,000 employees within 90 facilities in 20 countries around the globe, we are strategically positioned to coordinate worldwide resources and apply multidisciplinary perspectives in resolving our client's unique challenges. Our client base includes global pharmaceutical companies, biotechnology companies, government agencies and hospitals and academic institutions around the world. And in 2019, revenue increased to $2.62 billion.
At Charles River, we are passionate about our role in improving the quality of people's lives. Our mission, our excellent science and our strong sense of purpose guide us in all that we do, and we approach each day with the knowledge that our work helps to improve the health and well-being of many across the globe. We have proudly supported the development of ~85% of the drugs approved by the FDA in 2019.Equal Employment Opportunity
Charles River Laboratories is an Equal Opportunity Employer - M/F/Disabled/Vet.
If you are interested in applying to Charles River Laboratories and need special assistance or an accommodation due to a disability to complete any forms or to otherwise participate in the resume submission process, please contact a member of our Human Resources team by sending an e-mail message to crrecruitment_US@crl.com. This contact is for accommodation requests for individuals with disabilities only and cannot be used to inquire about the status of applications.
For more information, please visit www.criver.com.