CULTURAL RESOURCES MANAGEMENT PRACTICE
Our Cultural Resources Management practice, embedded under our Environmental Planning practice, performs a diverse array of cultural resources services for a wide spectrum of federal, state, and local agency clients, as well as private organizations. We provide archaeological and architectural history services that include California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA) and National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA) environmental compliance projects. JOB DESCRIPTION
Michael Baker International is seeking an On-Call Paleontologist for projects in Southern California. In this role you will assist with field surveys, construction monitoring, fossil salvages, matrix washing and picking; collect and record stratigraphic, lithologic and paleontological data, and other field tasks as needed. You will also author paleontological reports pursuant to various agency requirements including Bureau of Land Management, Caltrans, and various Counties. You may be asked to contribute to CEQA or NEPA environmental documents such as ISMNDs, EIRs, and EISs. Travel for field survey will be required throughout California with a majority of the work within southern California. PROFESSIONAL REQUIREMENTS
- B.A. or B.S. degree in geology, earth sciences, or a closely related field that meets the SVP qualification of Paleontological Resource monitor.
- M.A. or M.S. degree in geology, earth sciences, or a closely related field that meets the qualifications for a Qualified Professional Paleontologist, as described by SVP 2010,is preferred.
- A working understanding of the Paleontological Resources Preservation Act (PRPA) of 2009
- 3+ years of experience as a Paleontological monitor in Southern California
- Working knowledge of field geology skills, measuring stratigraphic columns, and proficiency in recognizing fossils and trace fossils as well as collection methods. Expert level knowledge of these skills is preferred.
- Must be proficient in paleontological field techniques, including use of GPS receivers and database management
- Excellent analytical skills and exceptional technical writing ability.
- Demonstrable experience writing paleontological sensitivity assessments as defined by the SVP.
- Must demonstrate excellent attention to detail, a positive work ethic, reliability, and commitment to working both independently and in a team environment
- Able to communicate through all contemporary business mediums (i.e., email, telephone, video conferencing)
- Attention to detail, organization, and ability to follow instructions.
- A valid California driver's license.
- Candidate can office out of any of our offices in Southern California and/or from home.