Motif FoodWorks is a food-technology company working to make plant-based foods better tasting, more nutritious and so desirable that people actually crave them. The company's mission is to unleash the promise of plant-based foods by taking a new, holistic approach to ingredient development that combines science and technology - merged with sensory fundamentals - to reveal totally new answers. By radically changing our understanding of plant-based food, Motif will enable crave-worthy products that exceed taste and experience expectations, unlocking benefits for everyone and our planet.About the role
Ready to be part of something really big? We are looking for a highly motivated Sr. Scientist - Microbiology/Physiology to contribute on all aspects of microbial fermentation optimization, strain physiology studies, and process development for protein fermentation, extraction, separation and purification.
The ideal candidate will be self-directed, highly collaborative and enjoy working with a team in a fast-paced startup environment, while bringing his/her experience, expertise and innovative ideas.Responsibilities
- Design, lead and conduct studies aimed at improving fermentation metrics through application of physiological principles and data analysis, while aligning the process conditions with the constraints of large-scale manufacturing.
- Conduct bench scale fermentation and microbial experiment in lab for strain evaluations and protocol development.
- Support project leads to design and conduct studies aimed at improving processing metrics for intracellular and secretion products, including fermentation and DSP areas
- Support technical transfer between lab, pilot and manufacture facilities.
- Contribute to continuous improvement efforts on production optimization and process development.
- Communicate outcomes of studies, recommendations, and next steps to R&D Leadership.
- PhD with 3+ years of experience.
- Field of study: Microbiology, Physiology, Biological Engineering, or related areas.
- Experience in aerobic microbial fermentation and metabolic pathway studies is required.
- Pilot or plant experience with protein fermentation and purification is helpful.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills with both technical and non-technical personnel.
Culture Fit & Impact
- Highly motivated, excellent organizational, interpersonal and communication skills, and able to multitask in a fast-paced environment with changing priorities
- Demonstrate a high degree of dedication and ownership of research projects
- Proven ability to work independently and effectively plan and organize work activities and prioritize task completion to meet schedules and deadlines
- Hands-on approach, willingness to be tenacious, dive into details to help support and improve projects
- Excellent analytical, reasoning and problem-solving skills
- Understands how to work in a rapidly growing start-up
- Able to deal effectively with ambiguity and changing priorities
- Thrives under pressure and desires to learn and grow
- Mission-driven and interested in transforming the food industry
Must be willing to travel up to 20% of time when necessary
Powered by JazzHR