The goal of every teacher at the King Abdullah Academy is to inspire and nurture students to learn academic skills and subject matter that contribute to their development as mature, able, responsible, knowledgeable, men and women. To promote this, teachers employ challenging curricula and set high standards of achievement and behavior for themselves and their students. The teacher will lead the planning and implementation of a cohesive and coordinated strategy that harnesses every available resource to optimize student learning and the quality of the student experience at King Abdullah Academy within the learning community. We are an IB World School with a Diploma Program as well as a Middle years Program with the goal of becoming an IB continuum school with our recent acceptance into PYP candidacy. The teacher will have extensive classroom experience in a K-12th grade school setting, a keen interest in forwarding innovative teaching strategies that align with the vision for the school, and a passion for the unique mission of the King Abdullah Academy.
Teachers are expected to continue their professional growth by identifying specific goals and pursuing them throughout the year. These goals include maintaining a valid teaching credential with standards equal to and/or greater than those of the states of Virginia or other nearby states, pursing graduate studies in their subject area, whether it be education, supervision, curriculum, or administration, and by attending professional seminars or workshops. The Academy strongly encourages membership in professional organizations and participation in professional enrichment opportunities.Duties and Responsibilities
The following duties are typical for this classification. Incumbents may not perform all of the listed duties and/or may be required to perform additional or different duties from those set forth below to address organizational needs and changing industry practices.
- Set clear goals and procedures for operations, programs and practices that ensure seamless integration of assets and services in classrooms and maximizes resource impact on student outcomes.
- Work with the Academic Leadership Team to ensure effective delivery of the curriculum to specified classes, including selecting resources and managing them efficiently in the classroom.
- Collaborate with other teachers to maintain and document horizontal and vertical alignment of the curriculum, to share new ideas and approaches, to create and develop unit and lesson plans, and as well as professional knowledge.
- Design, prepare and deliver high quality differentiated lessons to suit the individual needs of all students in line with the PYP, MYP, and DP Programs.
- Be aware of the students' learning needs and working collaboratively with special education faculty in implementing and following up with the learning support plans and/or IEPs.
- Participate as a mentor/advisor supporting students with completion of one of the IB program's culminating projects.
- Promote and communicate programs and initiatives ensuring high levels of participation and engagement amongst students.
- Build and maintain successful IB programs within the school by providing an educational atmosphere conducive to learning and developing through the process of inquiry.
- Create a classroom environment conducive to students developing a love of learning for enjoyment.
- Manage student behavior for the purpose of providing a safe and optimal learning environment.
- Participate in a variety of meetings and required professional development workshops for the purpose of conveying and/or gathering information required to perform functions and to improve student achievement.
- Instruct students for the purpose of improving their success in academics through a defined course study.
- Prepare a variety of assignments and activities while using a range of resources for the purpose of facilitating instruction and monitoring student progress.
- Provide learning targets/outcomes and continuously assess these targets so that all learners can achieve mastery.
- Assess, monitor, and evaluate students' academic and social development and maintain required and appropriate records of student performance.
- Communicate accurately and regularly with parents using school LMS and school email.
- Contribute to the extra-curricular activities program and actively participate in school activities such as assemblies, evening events, and conferences.
- Perform any duties as assigned by administration and meet the expectations of those duties.