Synthetic Biology - Microbiome Engineering Postdoctoral Scholar
What is Required:
- Engineer I. orientalis strain for production of organic acid.
- Identify genes involved in diversion of carbon flux from organic acid and knock out the genes using CRISPR-Cas9.
- Perform phylogenetic analyses of enzymes involved in a non-oxidative glycolytic (NOG) pathway
- Select candidate genes for synthesis and perform enzyme characterization.
- Select the most active variants from the lists of above enzymes.
- Build the NOG pathway to improve the yield of citramalate production.
- Summarize experimental results and present them at group meetings.
- Keep precise and detailed laboratory notebooks.
- Manage relationships with our collaborators.
Additional Desired Qualifications:
- Ph.D. degree in Biochemistry, Microbial Metabolic Engineering, Synthetic Biology, or a related field.
- Strong motivation to contribute to develop the areas of research under the DOE mission.
- Detailed knowledge in microbial biochemistry, genetics, metabolism, and physiology.
- Ability to successfully work in a dynamic team environment.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Experience in metabolite extraction, isolation and structure elucidation (HPLC, LC-MS, GC, and/or GC-MS)
- Experience in molecular biology techniques (molecular cloning, DNA/RNA extraction, PCR, gel electrophoresis)
- This is a full time 1-year postdoctoral appointment with the possibility of renewal based upon satisfactory job performance, continuing availability of funds and ongoing operational needs. You must have less than 3 years paid postdoctoral experience. Salary for Postdoctoral positions depends on years of experience post-degree.
- M-F, exempt (monthly paid) from overtime pay.
- This position is represented by a union for collective bargaining purposes.
- Salary will be predetermined based on postdoctoral step rates.
- This position may be subject to a background check. Any convictions will be evaluated to determine if they directly relate to the responsibilities and requirements of the position. Having a conviction history will not automatically disqualify an applicant from being considered for employment.
- Work will be primarily performed at: Lawrence Berkeley National Lab, 1 Cyclotron Road, Berkeley, CA.
Learn about us!
Environmental Genomics and Systems Biology
Mission: Linking genome biology to ecosystem dynamics.
Vision: Sustainable solutions to energy and environmental challenges developed through mechanistic understanding of ecosystem dynamics.
Approach: We develop systems-level models using integrated molecular observation and controlled manipulation of model organisms and defined biomes to design and test interventions that promote beneficial outcomes.
Berkeley Lab (LBNL) addresses the world's most urgent scientific challenges by advancing sustainable energy, protecting human health, creating new materials, and revealing the origin and fate of the universe. Founded in 1931, Berkeley Lab's scientific expertise has been recognized with 13 Nobel prizes. The University of California manages Berkeley Lab for the U.S. Department of Energy's Office of Science.
Working at Berkeley Lab has many rewards including a competitive compensation program, excellent health and welfare programs, a retirement program that is second to none, and outstanding development opportunities. To view information about the many rewards that are offered at Berkeley Lab- Click Here .
Equal Employment Opportunity: Berkeley Lab is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status. Berkeley Lab is in compliance with the Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision under 41 CFR 60-1.4. Click here to view the poster and supplement: "Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law.
Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory encourages applications from women, minorities, veterans, and other underrepresented groups presently considering scientific research careers.
Create and manage profiles for future opportunities.
Equal Employment Opportunity: Berkeley Lab is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status. Berkeley Lab is in compliance with the Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision under 41 CFR 60-1.4. Click here to view the poster and supplement: "Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law."
The Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory provides accommodation to otherwise qualified internal and external applicants who are disabled or become disabled and need assistance with the application process. Internal and external applicants that need such assistance may contact the Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory to request accommodation by telephone at 510-486-7635, by email to email@example.com or by U.S. mail at EEO/AA Office, One Cyclotron Road, MS90R-2121, Berkeley, CA 94720. These methods of contact have been put in place ONLY to be used by those internal and external applicants requesting accommodation.