Plant Environmental Health & Safety ManagerCompany:
Requisition Number: 47294
Corning is one of the world's leading innovators in materials science. For more than 160 years, Corning has applied its unparalleled expertise in specialty glass, ceramics, and optical physics to develop products that have created new industries and transformed people's lives.
Corning succeeds through sustained investment in R&D, a unique combination of material and process innovation, and close collaboration with customers to solve tough technology challenges.
As a leading developer, manufacturer, and global supplier of scientific laboratory products for 100 years, Corning's Life Sciences segment collaborates with researchers seeking new approaches to increase efficiencies, reduce costs and compress timelines in the drug discovery process. Using unique expertise in the fields of materials science, surface science, optics, biochemistry and biology, the segment provides innovative solutions that improve productivity and enable breakthrough discoveries. Scope of Position:
This position is responsible for promoting a safe and healthy work environment for all plant employees, visitors and contractors. The Environmental, Health & Safety (EH&S) Manager will help drive continuous improvement in overall EH&S performance while promoting an interdependent organizational culture. The intent of this role is to lead and effectively integrate EH&S processes/programs into the overall plant strategy while maintaining compliance with all applicable federal, state local, and corporate safety laws and standards. Day to Day Responsibilities:
- Direct and guide the maintenance of the environmental, safety and health management systems
- Maintain compliance with applicable laws, policies, codes and regulations, seeking advice from outside agencies, and corporate departments when necessary.
- Facilitate safety by training, mentoring and coaching others at the facility who have responsibilities for safety programs and teams.
- Conduct and support hazard identification, evaluation and control (risk assessments) and mitigation for new and existing equipment and processes.
- Maintain and coordinate facilities' Safety & Health performance metrics including injuries and illnesses and safety objective tracking and ensure that performance data is communicated to the facility employees and Corporate/Division Safety personnel.
- Work with management to implement Corporate, Division, and Site safety initiatives for annual and long-term safety and health system and injury reduction objectives
- Direct and facilitate the development, implementation, maintenance and improvement of required safety, and health programs and processes such as emergency response procedures, inspections, ergonomics, fall-protection, etc.
- Work with internal and external organizations to coordinate environmental safety and health audits of the facility(such as ISO 14001), lead annual facility safety-assessments, and prioritize and support site corrective action closures.
- Implement safety programs to continue developing an inter-dependent safety culture where everyone is watching out for everyone's safety.
- Ensure effective development and delivery of all EHS related training and education programs and maintain EHS records.
- Assist with the management of workers' compensation, and the interaction with doctors and other medical care providers, and other outside agencies.
- Directly supervise EHS Specialist.
- Minimal travel (local service providers as needed)
- Role supports 24 x 7 Production Operations, weekend support periodic.
Required Years and Area of Experience:
- We require a Bachelor's Degree in occupational health/safety, environmental, health, engineering or the physical sciences.
- We require 5+ years of Environmental Health & Safety experience with responsibilities consistent with the job description within a manufacturing environment.
Desired Experience / Qualifications / Skills:
- Knowledge of OSHA/EPA and other relevant regulations and standards.
- Excellent problem-solving skills (DMAIC, DESGN).
- Experience integrating aspects of EH&S management into the overall operation of the plant.
- Handles time and resources effectively to meet deadlines.
- Information Utilization and ability to use electronic databases.
- Certified safety professional preferred.
Positive teammate who is, open and approachable to effectively collaborate in teams in a multi-cultural environment and across all levels of an organization.
- Excellent social skills and leading teams in a collaborative environment.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, written and verbal.
- Excellent presentation skills.
- Effective management of competing priorities based on risk.
Corning offers a competitive salary, vacation, pension, and family medical leave.
Are you ready to start an exciting career with Corning, Inc.? Apply today!
This position does not support immigration sponsorship.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status or any other legally protected status.
We prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, color, gender, age, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, veteran status or any other legally protected status.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.