Associate Scientist (Molecular Biology)
at CS Genetics
CS Genetics is developing pathbreaking new technology for genomics, based on foundational scientific insights and sophisticated conceptual innovations in NGS techniques. Our work will accelerate basic biologic research and enable lifesaving new clinical diagnostics. We have an extremely skilled team, a large global intellectual property estate, and amongst the most inventive, ambitious technology roadmaps in life science.
We're developing a radically-new, instrument-free platform for single-cell sequencing with disruptive throughput and experimental ease. We're growing our Cambridge R&D team to help launch a new era of NGS-based cellular analysis.
We're looking for an exceptional, experienced, and audacious laboratory scientist to join our NGS R&D team as an Associate Scientist (Molecular Biology). The ideal candidate will have experience in using and/or refining complex technologies/assays for measurement/detection of nucleic acids and/or proteins; they will have a broad knowledge of molecular methods and tools for processing, modification, and detection of nucleic acids; they will be a rigorous, analytical, and organised experimentalist; they will have a keen intellectual interest in DNA sequencing technologies and their applications; they will have a keen personal interest in saving and extending lives through life science R&D.
- Perform complex, cutting-edge hands-on labwork to develop new technology for genomics
- Engineer and evaluate new types of macromolecular and/or solid-phase consumable reagents
- Advance complex R&D roadmaps through deft experimental planning and laboratory execution
- Work with a team of other laboratory scientists developing new ways of using NGS for research and medicine
- Communicate internally and with external partners via oral updates, written reports, and technical meetings
Required Skills and Background
- BA/BSc or equivalent in molecular biology or bioengineering, genetics/genomics, biochemistry or similar relevant subject and 3+ years hands-on experience as a laboratory scientist in academia and/or industry
- Knowledge of NGS, including sequencing platforms, sample-prep methods, and applications
- Hands-on experience with molecular biology techniques (e.g. PCR/qPCR, RT, electrophoresis, etc.)
- Experience performing complex molecular-detection/measurement assays for nucleic acids and/or proteins (e.g. complex genomic/epigenomic/transcriptomic assays, advanced protein-detection methods, multi-omics)
- Enthusiasm for a demanding, fast-paced R&D role in a small-startup environment
Desired Skills and Background
- Experience developing/refining sophisticated NGS protocols and/or technologies (e.g. complex sample-prep schemes such as single-cell/in-situ/on-flowcell methods; short-read/long-read sequencing biochemistry; emulsion and/or microfluidic methods; transposase-mediated methods; combinatorial indexing); or experience developing/refining sophisticated protein-detection technologies/methods (molecular, optical, or otherwise)
- Broad scientific knowledgebase relevant to NGS (e.g. genetic health/disease; cancer genomics; immunology)
- MSci/MRes/MPhil or equivalent in a relevant field of life science preferred but not required
Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority