- location:South Plainfield, NJ
- salary:$35 - $38 per hour
- date posted:Wednesday, August 25, 2021
- experience:3 Years
- job type:Contract
- industry:Professional, Scientific, and Technical Services
The Research Biologist is responsible for performing scientific experiments that contribute to research and drug discovery activities. This position assists in the conduct of early stage research, the goal of which is the identification of New Chemical Entities (NCEs), as well as the advancement of research programs from the identification of screening hits to advanced lead optimization. The incumbent is also responsible for communicating experimental results to his/her supervisor and the project team.
location: South Plainfield, New Jersey
job type: Contract
salary: $35 - 38 per hour
work hours: 9 to 5
- Under limited supervision *,* executes experiments as directed by the supervisor and communicates results as part of multi-disciplinary team(s).
- Applies relevant scientific principles and techniques to research problems.
- Maintains detailed laboratory notebooks.
- Maintains broad knowledge of state-of-the-art principles and techniques and may contribute to the identification of new project areas or technologies.
- Presents findings internally and contributes to the publication of the work of the project team in well-established and peer reviewed journals, subject to internal scientific and legal approval.
- May provide technical and scientific input to the project team or research leadership
- Contributes to the development of patent applications as appropriate.
- Complies with all safety requirements.
- Contributes to general lab operations such as:
- Equipment maintenance.
- Identification of capital equipment needs
- Maintenance of clean and uncluttered work areas
- Maintain inventory and ordering lab supplies as needed.
- Characterization of protein expression utilizing Western Blot, ELISA methodologies.
- Perform protein function assay (e.g., luciferase assay).
- Perform mammalian cell culture, compound treatment experiments.
- Perform animal tissue pulverization work.
- Perform nucleic acid extraction from cells or tissue.
- Characterization of pre-mRNA splicing profiles utilizing RT-PCR, Ampliseq, RNAseq methodologies.
- Provides support for in vivo studies as required.
- Bachelor's degree in a scientific discipline, preferably Biology, Molecular Biology or Biochemistry with a minimum of 4 years' experience, OR, Master's degree in a scientific discipline with a minimum of 0- 2 years of relevant experience.
- Human tissue culture experience
- Cell biology and Molecular biology
- Experience in RNA purification, qPCR and analysis
- Hands on experience with eukaryotic cell culture.
- Experience in protein quantification and analysis methods such as Western blot, ELISA, luciferase assay.
- Experience in handling mammalian cells, e.g., plasmid transfection, compound treatment, cell morphology by microscopy, GFP microscopy.
- Possesses knowledge and experience in the area of pre-mRNA splicing and keeps current with state-of-the-art techniques such as RNAseq, and with relevant scientific literature.
- Proficiency in scientific software used to design and analyze biological data like SnapGene.
- Demonstrates technical proficiency, scientific creativity, and the ability to collaborate with others on cross functional teams in a fast-paced, matrixed, environment consisting of internal and external team members.
- Possesses knowledge of scientific principles and concepts and keeps current with relevant scientific literature.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office- preferably MS Excel and MS PowerPoint.
- .Effective verbal and written communication and skills.
- Analytical thinker with problem-solving skills and the ability to adapt to changing priorities and deadlines.
- Effective planning, organization and time management skills including the ability to support and prioritize multiple projects.
- Experience in handling mammalian cells, e.g., transduction of rAAV vectors, cell morphology by microscopy, cell sorting flow cytometry (preferred).
- Experience in RNA purification, reverse transcription (RT), PCR, qPCR and analysis (preferred).
- Proficiency in scientific software used to design and analyze biological data like UCSC Genome Browser, Integrative Genomics Viewer, Spotfire (preferred).
- Experiences of RNA or DNA sequencing library preparation and sequencing using Oxford Nanopore or Illumina sequencing platforms (preferred).
skills: Molecular Biology, Immunoassays
Equal Opportunity Employer: Race, Color, Religion, Sex, Sexual Orientation, Gender Identity, National Origin, Age, Genetic Information, Disability, Protected Veteran Status, or any other legally protected group status.