Are you looking for a patient-focused, innovation-driven company that will inspire you and empower you to shine? Join us as a Scientist II, Liver Biology in our San Diego, CA office.
At Takeda, we are transforming the pharmaceutical industry through our R&D-driven market leadership and being a values-led company. To do this, we empower our people to realize their potential through life-changing work. Certified as a Global Top Employer, we offer stimulating careers, encourage innovation, and strive for excellence in everything we do. We foster an inclusive, collaborative workplace, in which our global teams are united by an unwavering commitment to deliver Better Health and a Brighter Future
to people around the world. OBJECTIVES/PURPOSE
- We have an exciting opportunity for a creative Cell Biologist to join the growing Liver Diseases group within Takeda's GI Drug Discovery Unit and establish primary hepatocyte and non-parenchymal cell-based NASH assays to inform target validation, mechanism of action and translational studies.
- The candidate will lead these efforts across the Liver Diseases portfolio with the goal of developing NASH therapeutics
- This person will be an integral part of the drug discovery process to deliver on our goals in the larger GI Drug Discovery Unit composed of a matrixed group and have wide visibility within the organization and among our academic and biotech partners.
EDUCATION, BEHAVIORAL COMPETENCIES AND SKILLS
- Help formulate and implement a primary liver cell platform assay strategy to evaluate anti-fibrotic targets across the portfolio, address program-specific questions and support program progression
- Implement precision cut liver slices (PCLS) from rodent and human normal and diseases liver, 2D- and 3D mono- and coculture assays with primary hepatocytes and stellate cells, and apply skillsets to isolate specific cell types from normal and diseased rodent and human liver tissue
- Collaborate with internal and external stakeholders to utilize genomic, proteomic and cell imaging technologies to validate liver platform assays and mechanistic and translational studies
- Independently keep abreast of current literature on in vitro primary assays for NASH and fibrosis including external commercial platforms, and help implement novel approaches in-house.
- Able to schedule and execute on tasks and protocols independently after training and alignment on key experiments.
- Maintain good laboratory record keeping and be responsible for the inventory of tissue samples and destinations
- Prepare and present comprehensive technical reports and scientific reports for internal meetings in all settings and with participants of all levels of the organization, as well as for external audiences.
- Help design experimental strategies to meet research goals in collaboration with CROs and academic partners.
- Establish a collaborative role within a matrixed and biology-oriented team and influence the experimental design, assays needed, data generation, analysis, integration and interpretation.
- Participate in due diligences of external opportunities when needed.
- PhD degree in Liver Biology, Fibrosis, or Cell and Molecular Biology, with 2+ years experience , or
- MS with 8+ years experience, or
- BS with 10+ years experience
- Knowledge of, and experience with at least two of the following: liver cell biology and development, organ fibrosis including, but not limited to liver, NASH drug development and the application of 'omic approaches (RNAseq and proteomics) to study cellular heterogeneity and function
- Hands on experience with primary cell culture, including 3D culture systems such as organoids, PCLS, transwell cocultures, or other complex systems with hepatocytes and non-parenchymal cells
- Strong understanding of multiplexed gene expression technology such as Nanostring, FACS- or MACS based cell sorting, cell imaging including immunofluoresce, immunohistochemistry, confocal microscopy, and automated image acquisition and quantification technologies such as Aperio ImageScope, MetaMorph, Imaris
- Experience with library prep for single cell sequencing technology (scRNAseq and snRNAseq) a plus
- Knowledge of and experience with in vivo liver and fibrosis models including rodent and non-human primate models a plus
This job posting excludes CO applicantsWHAT TAKEDA CAN OFFER YOU:
Empowering Our People to Shine
- 401(k) with company match and Annual Retirement Contribution Plan
- Tuition reimbursement
- Company match of charitable contributions
- Health & Wellness programs including onsite flu shots and health screenings
- Generous time off for vacation and the option to purchase additional vacation days
- Community Outreach Programs
Discover more at takedajobs.com
No Phone Calls or Recruiters Please.
San Diego, CAWorker Type