Laboratory Specialist, Microbiology
Position Type Part-Time Overview
Conducts wide variety of laboratory tests for diagnosis of disease. Qualifications Qualifications
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
Must be able to organize work and to set priorities. Must be able to communicate effectively with personnel and with patients. Job duties require rigid clerical accuracy in the identification and reporting of numbers, names and results. Must be a professional capable of varied work which requires consistent exercise of discretion, good independent judgment, and reasoning ability. Education and/or Other Requirements
Bachelors of Science degree in Chemistry or Biology from an accredited university or college preferred, or must be enrolled in college and completing last semester of Bachelors of Science Degree. If not enrolled in college, must have at least 1 year of Laboratory experience. Environmental Factors
Frequent to continuous exposure to unpleasant/irritating substances. Exposure to hazardous and/or potentially injurious elements or conditions is considerable. Physical Demands
The physical demands described are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- Must be able to work any shift and/or weekend. Considerable physical exertion, including continuous (70 to 100%) walking, standing, bending, reaching and pushing/pulling of average to heavy loads (26 to 60 pounds). Mobility between nursing units is essential to perform phlebotomy and Blood Bank duties.
- Must have absolute integrity in the accurate performance and reporting of results. Must exercise discretion, good independent judgment and reasoning ability. Must be able to work under stress caused by turn-around times.
- Ability to adhere to strict confidentiality requirements.
Connect With Us!
- Conducts waived, simple and moderately complex tests according to standards. Performs phlebotomy, as needed, at acceptable level. Maintains up-to-date knowledge of laboratory procedures in assigned areas, which may include:
- Blood Bank
- Collects and prepares samples for analysis; performs prescribed procedures; reports accurate tests results.
- Organizes and prioritizes workload; meets turn-around time.
- After orientation, operates, calibrates, conducts performance checks, and maintains clinical laboratory instruments and equipment.
- Conducts established quality control procedures on analytical tests, equipment, reagent, media and products; evaluates results; implements corrective action when indicated.
- Communicates and interacts with fellow employees; refers problems to appropriate personnel. Keeps supervisor informed of unusual data or results.
- Attends mandatory seminars; participates in other continuing education.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Not ready to apply? Connect with us for general consideration.
Memorial Medical Center is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate against any employee or applicant on the basis of age, color, disability, gender, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any classification protected by federal, state, or local law.