Range Technician

Department Of The Interior
Chinle, Arizona, US
Jul 30, 2021
Aug 03, 2021
Land Management
Employment Type
Full time
Salary Type
* Duties




This position is located with the Bureau of Indian Affairs, Navajo Region in Chinle, Arizona.

This position will support the Federal Government's response efforts to COVID-19

Learn more about this agency


* Participate in development of plans for range management by collecting information and data for range management plans. advising management.
* Advising management as to division of permittees into range units, and identify plans of improvements needed to make management practice effective.
* Develops plans for the installation of soil, water, vegetation and measuring devices, transects, and techniques to monitor conditions of trends including installing vegetative monitoring cages.
* Implements range management plans and following up for compliance. Compiles livestock tally sheets, checks livestock health records, grazing permit records.
* Monitors range units for forage conditions, perform and record forage utilization and production, and recommend best management practices for rangeland and water improvements.
* Assist with development of public educational materials and outreach.
* Gathers management information and data including location of existing and proposed range improvements, inventory poisonous and noxious plant encroachments proposed treatments in the development of range management plans.
* Schedules and performs periodic livestock grazing permit compliance.
* Checks for trespass by livestock and takes initial action when trespass occurs by securing and documenting evidence and submitting it to superior.
* Assist with drafting compliance letter to permittees and the public.
* Maintains permitted and actual use records in the range management plan and documents observations in the course of range inspections.

Travel Required

Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.

Supervisory status


Promotion Potential


* Job family (Series)

0455 Range Technician

Similar jobs

* Conservation Technicians
* Forest And Conservation Technicians
* Forest Technicians
* Technicians, Conservation
* Technicians, Forest

* Requirements



Conditions of Employment

* U.S. Citizenship Required
* Indian Preference applies
* You will be required to have federal payments made by Direct Deposit
* You may be required to successfully complete a probationary/trial period
* A background security investigation will be required for all new hires. Appointment will be subject to the applicant's successful completion of a background security investigation and favorable adjudication.
* If you are a male applicant born after 12/31/1959 and are required to register under the Military Selective Service Act, the Defense Authorization Act of 1986 requires that you be registered or you are not eligible for appointment in this agency.
* Incumbent may be required as an incidental duty to operate a government-owned or leased motor vehicle. If selected, you will be required to complete an Incidental Motor Vehicle Operator's Certification Form.


EXPERIENCE AND EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS: (OPM Operating Manual, Qualification Standards for Technical and Medical Support positions and Individual Occupational Requirements for GS-0455: Range Technician Series)

Individual Occupational Requirements

Specialized Experience (for positions at GS-4 and above)

In addition to the experience requirements described in the group coverage standard, seasonal experience may also be creditable. A season of experience is considered to be a period of no less than 3 months of continuous employment on a seasonal basis. Shorter periods may be combined to make a season, provided a total of at least 3 months' experience is shown. For any period where the work exceeded 3 months, the excess work is credited towards an additional season of experience. One season of experience is qualifying for GS-2; 2 seasons of experience qualify for GS-3; and 4 seasons of experience qualify for GS-4. Examples of qualifying specialized experience include:

* Work in the conservation, regulation, and use of public or Federally controlled lands for grazing.
* Range research activities.
* Work in the operation of a livestock ranch or in assisting in the management or preservation of lands comparable to the public range.
* Range or forest fire control, prevention, or suppression work.

GS-06: One year specialized experience equivalent to the GS-5 grade level. Specialized experience is defined as the following: Conduct tests and inspections using work methods and techniques that were standard to rangeland management functions; Recommended or performed rangeland management development and monitoring including assisting in all support work on range unit boundary fences, water development, implementation of re-vegetation projects, or the treatment of noxious weeds; Performed a variety of assignments in support of rangeland management programs or projects where methods and techniques were generally applicable but sometimes required minor deviations based on field conditions; OR Successful completion of one full year of graduate education directly related to the work of the position; such as: forestry, range management, agriculture; OR A combination of specialized experience and education to meet the total experience.

GS-7: 1 year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the GS-6 grade level in the Federal service which involved work in the conservation, regulation, and use of public or Federally controlled lands for grazing; range research activities; work in the operation of a livestock ranch or in assisting in the management or preservation of lands. OR 1 full year of graduate education in forestry, range management, agriculture, or a subject-matter directly related to the position.

TELEWORK: Bureau of Indian Affairs has determined that the duties of the position are suitable for telework and the selectee may be allowed to telework with supervisor approval.

All qualification requirements must be met by the closing date of this announcement.

Merit Promotion candidates must also meet time-in-grade requirements by the announcement closing date.


If you are qualifying based on your education, you MUST provide transcripts or other documentation to support your educational claims. Unless otherwise stated: (1) official or unofficial transcripts are acceptable, or (2) you may submit a list with all of your courses, grades, semester, year, and credit for the course. All materials must be submitted by the closing date of the announcement.

If more than 10 percent of your undergraduate course work (credit hours) were taken on a pass/fail basis, your claim of superior academic achievement must be based upon class standing or membership in an honor society.

One academic year of graduate education is considered to be the number of credits hours your graduate school has determined to represent one academic year of full-time study. Such study may have been performed on a full-time or part-time basis. If you cannot obtain your graduate school's definition of one year of graduate study, 18 semester hours (or 27 quarter hours) should be considered as satisfying the requirement for one year of full-time graduate study.

If you are using education completed in foreign colleges or universities to meet the qualification requirements, you must send a Certificate of Foreign Equivalency with your transcript in order to receive credit for that education which shows the education credentials have been evaluated by a private organization that specializes in interpretation of foreign education programs and such education has been deemed equivalent to that gained in an accredited U.S. education program; or full credit has been given for the courses at a U.S. accredited college or university. For further information, visit: FOREIGN EDUCATION