Land Protection Specialist
The Western New York Land Conservancy is an accredited, regional not-for-profit land trust that permanently protects land with significant conservation values in Western New York for the benefit of future generations. We envision a future in which forests, farms, meadows, and waterways are connected, cherished, and protected in Western New York. Our clean air, clean water, and fertile soils will equitably support the health and wellbeing of future generations of every living thing.
Position Title: Land Protection Specialist
Reports to: Conservation Director
Employment Type: Full-time, exempt, 37.5 hours per week
Compensation: $49,000-$54,000 plus comprehensive benefits package
Location: Based half-time in the East Aurora office, half-time remotely, with some field work throughout Western New York.
The Land Protection Specialist will work primarily in the office and/or from home, with some field time exploring new projects. The Land Protection Specialist will work with the land protection staff (Conservation Director and Farmland Protection Specialist) to advance the Land Conservancy’s many exciting land protection projects. The Land Protection Specialist will also work closely with the Stewardship department to ensure continuity in the management of new projects.
New Project Acquisitions- Natural Lands (45%) and Farmland (45%):
Under the direction of the Conservation Director:
- Perform acquisition project work, rank new projects, perform outreach to landowners with priority parcels
- Collect data and information necessary to evaluate new projects
- Create maps, rank properties, and perform preliminary site visits
- Fill out project strategy forms for newly approved acquisitions
- Oversee acquisition related contractors (surveyors, appraisers, etc.)
- Complete due diligence work, ensure required paperwork is completed and received in a timely manner to facilitate closings
- Complete closings in coordination with Conservation Director & Farmland Protection Specialist
- Complete first-year tax exemption paperwork for any newly acquired fee properties, then transfer to Stewardship Director and Admin. Assistant
Conservation Support (10%):
- Respond to all incoming land protection inquiries, maintain a database of new project inquiries, ensure appropriate follow-up occurs
- Responsible for ensuring all hard-copy, permanent records of projects are filed appropriately, and that completed projects transition to the Stewardship Department smoothly
- Provide support for Conservation Committee meetings and participate in external meetings related to conservation projects, as needed
- Provide grant preparation and reporting support, ensure all reporting deadlines are met.
- Assist with Land Trust Alliance re-accreditation
- A deep passion for conservation and the Land Conservancy’s mission.
- Undergraduate degree or higher in Ecology, Natural Resources, Forestry, Preserve Management, Wildlife Biology, Geography, Environmental Science, Environmental Policy or a related field. Professional experience at a land trust may be used in place of a degree in a related field.
- Familiarity with conservation easements, real estate transactions, and land conservation methods is preferred.
- Previous experience in land conservation or real estate is preferred.
- Experience reading and interpreting legal documents.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to use ArcGIS and GPS to display and analyze information is preferred.
- Proficiency with Microsoft and Google Suites.
- Ability to work independently with a high level of accountability and attention to detail.
- Strong organizational skills, interpersonal skills, diplomacy, patience, and a sense of humor.
- A commitment to excellence, teamwork, continuous learning, creativity, and maintaining confidentiality.
- Willingness to travel throughout Western New York and to use personal vehicle for travel (reimbursement provided). A valid driver’s license is required.
You can apply for this position through the following link:
Please also submit a cover letter and resume with “Land Protection Specialist” in the subject firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications are only accepted electronically. No phone calls please. The Land Conservancy is accepting applications until August 30th, 2021. The Western New York Land Conservancy is committed to enhancing diversity and inclusion in our organization and in land conservation. Multiple perspectives and experiences help strengthen our work as an organization and enhance our relevance throughout communities currently underrepresented in the land conservation sector. People of color, women, LGBTQIA+ individuals, and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply.