State & Local Government - Strategy - Senior Consultant
Job Description Overview
Guidehouse is a leading management consulting firm serving the public and commercial markets. We guide our clients forward towards new futures that build trust in society and your professional skills along the journey. Join us at Guidehouse. Responsibilities
The State and Local Government practice provides individuals the opportunity to serve clients in the areas of: business design, organizational strategy, market analysis, financial modeling, operational analysis, process improvement, change management, compliance monitoring, and program management. The application of this skill set within state and local governments is delivering compelling, high impact solutions to our clients' toughest business and technology problems. We translate strategy into action.
We are recruiting for a Public Sector Strategy Senior Consultant
to join our State and Local Government practice in Los Angeles, CA. You will work with state, county and municipal level administrations, agencies and departments on a range of strategy and policy issues affecting the social, environmental and economic vibrancy of cities, regions and states. As a Senior Consultant, your role will be working as part of a larger engagement team to: understand an unstructured client problem, conduct market analysis and peer research, develop a solution framework for how the client can address the problem as part of a wider ecosystem of public, private and institutional stakeholders, and provide the business case for tactical recommendations. We pride ourselves on working collaboratively and selflessly, putting ourselves in our client's shoes and with humility to serve our client's mission. We are passionate about the role of government and public sector institutions in enhancing society-wide outcomes that equitably benefit all communities. Qualifications
QUALIFICATIONS - REQUIRED:
- At least 3 years of management consulting experience, or equivalent public sector/government or corporate strategy experience.
- Bachelor's degree.
QUALIFICATIONS - DESIRED:
- MBA, MPP or other Master's degree in Public Policy, Government, Political/Social Science, Information Systems, Operational Research, Management, International Development, Economics, Urban Science and/or related fields.
ROLE REQUIREMENTS - REQUIRED:
- Interest and passion for the role of government and responsibilities of the public sector, with specific domain experience in at least one (1) of the following areas:
Corporate or enterprise/organizational strategy. Sustainability, climate change, net zero and ESG strategies and frameworks. Smart cities, IoT and broadband strategies. Economic development, cluster strategies and industrial policy. Municipal government, infrastructure and mobility financing or strategy.
- Possess a commercial understanding of recent Federal funding sources affecting state and local government priorities e.g. CARES Act, American Rescue Plan (ARP) and other legislative items.
- Ability to define, lead, and manage multiple tasks within a workstream as part of a larger engagement. Proficiency in core management consulting skills:
- Baseline assessments and secondary research.
- Stakeholder interviews.
- Business modelling and analysis; strong numerical reasoning and quantitative skills, building complex Excel models.
- Hypothesizing solutions frameworks.
- Synthesizing multiple inputs into coherent insights across a variety of formats; slide decks, written narrative, playbooks, dashboards and toolkits.
- Sharp logical reasoning and critical thinking skills.
- Outstanding attention to detail.
- Solid verbal communication and narrative development skills, with the ability to summarize and convey key insights from analyses to senior audiences.
- High degree of comfort working in unstructured situations and ability to maintain poise, maturity and work well under pressure.
- Ability to be self-directed, anticipatory and responsive.
- Collegial team player who can work within a small, motivated team of diverse consulting professionals.
ROLE REQUIREMENTS - DESIRED:
- Functional experience in at least one (1) of the following areas desired, but not required:
- Proficiency with urban data science analytical techniques and familiarity using multiple public datasets including BLS, BEA, NAICS data, ACS and other geographically-defined socioeconomic datasets.
- Proficiency with input-output or general equilibrium economic modelling tools such as Esmi, IMPLAN or REMI.
- Proficiency with Stata, R, Python and other programming languages.
The successful candidate must not be subject to employment restrictions from a former employer (such as a non-compete) that would prevent the candidate from performing the job responsibilities as described. Disclaimer About Guidehouse
Guidehouse is an Equal Employment Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, military status, protected veteran status, religion, creed, physical or mental disability, medical condition, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, age, genetic information, or any other basis protected by law, ordinance, or regulation.
Guidehouse will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable law or ordinance including the Fair Chance Ordinance of Los Angeles and San Francisco.
If you have visited our website for information about employment opportunities, or to apply for a position, and you require an accommodation, please contact Guidehouse Recruiting at 1-571-633-1711 or via email at RecruitingAccommodation@guidehouse.com . All information you provide will be kept confidential and will be used only to the extent required to provide needed reasonable accommodation. Guidehouse does not accept unsolicited resumes through or from search firms or staffing agencies. All unsolicited resumes will be considered the property of Guidehouse and Guidehouse will not be obligated to pay a placement fee. Rewards and Benefits
Guidehouse offers a comprehensive, total rewards package that includes competitive compensation and a flexible benefits package that reflects our commitment to creating a diverse and supportive workplace.
- Medical, Rx, Dental & Vision Insurance
- Personal and Family Sick Time & Company Paid Holidays
- Position may be eligible for a discretionary variable incentive bonus
- Parental Leave and Adoption Assistance
- 401(k) Retirement Plan
- Basic Life & Supplemental Life
- Health Savings Account, Dental/Vision & Dependent Care Flexible Spending Accounts
- Short-Term & Long-Term Disability
- Tuition Reimbursement, Personal Development & Learning Opportunities
- Skills Development & Certifications
- Employee Referral Program
- Corporate Sponsored Events & Community Outreach
- Emergency Back-Up Childcare Program