Director of Environmental Health and Safety
Location Framingham, Massachusetts, United States Category Warehouse and Delivery Job Id 1168615
Our US Supply Chain network brings technology and people together in innovative ways to deliver state-of-the-art products, services, and expertise. Our extensive portfolio of opportunities spans from traditional inventory, fulfillment, and delivery to specialized strategy, automation, engineering, analytics, leadership, and logistics. Our diverse network paired with a continued commitment to and investment in our people, process, platforms and the communities in which we live and serve are the foundation on which we build our bright future.
If you are interested in leveraging your talents to drive innovation, customer satisfaction, market growth and personal development in a dynamic organization then you might be our next Director of Environmental Health & Safety.
What you'll be doing:
The Director of Environmental Health & Safety is responsible for leading the overall strategy, development and implementation of policies, procedures, rules, and standards designed to positively influence associate and customer safety, as well as minimize regulatory risks and exposures. This role will enhance operating efficiencies through hazard elimination and injury prevention. Primary duties and responsibilities include serving as the Subject Matter Expert to standardize, harmonize and support the execution of safety and regulatory compliance programs such as:
- Workplace Safety, Covid 19 Safety standards, Workplace Violence, Hazardous Substance management (Transportation & Disposal), Emergency Planning, Hazardous Chemical - Right to Know laws, Food Safety & Defense, State, County, local specific codes, and norms
- Manages the Supply Chain EHS Team, coordinates and provides leadership and guidance to the field Asset Protection team to support the implementation and execution of regulatory compliance programs designed to protect the environment, assets and ensure a safe workplace.
- Implements compliance strategies, initiatives, and compliance solutions through a combination of applications including SOP initiatives, data analysis, audits, and associate education & training programs.
- In partnership with Staples Legal team, Asset Protection and Supply Chain leadership, acts as primary liaison with regulatory agencies as it relates to safety, health, and environmental matters. Collaborates with internal and external stakeholders to conduct investigations of serious incidents and submission of responses to regulatory inquiries.
- Implements programs designed to both reduce worker's compensation costs and improve overall safe working conditions for associates. Ensures compliance to safety training as required by OSHA, EPA, DOT, FMCSA and the US FDA. Works closely with Risk Management and field operations leaders to analyze incident & injury data, develop strategies to address root causes of incidents, and prepare trend reports to ensure the effective execution of required safety programs, policies and initiatives.
- Leads health & safety compliance efforts. Serves as the expert center for regulatory compliance as it impacts associate safety, food safety, hazardous materials management, and environmental protection to provide direction and support to all business partners. Remains current with emerging EHS trends to evaluate their impact on the business and to drive and achieve consistent regulatory practices and controls.
- Develops and implements policies, procedures and associate awareness training for the disposal of hazardous and universal waste within the Fulfillment and Fleet environments.
- Ensures the continual improvement of safety standards and sets annual improvement objectives and targets, monitors the results and audits progress.
- Manages Workers Compensation (WC) programs including claims management, Return to Work program and performance metric reporting.
The right candidate will work with cross functional groups including Human Resources, Asset Protection, Legal, Risk Management, and Supply Chain operations, across multiple levels and departments to ensure seamless, integrated regulatory solutions for associate safety, regulatory compliance, risk management and health and environmental issues. You will have direct responsibility for a team of seasoned subject matter experts who are geographically dispersed in the markets we serve across the US.
What you bring to the table:
The right candidate for this role is well versed in all safety regulations and able to manage strategic safety initiatives across our broad network. You are a true leader as you will manage our team of Supply Chain Environmental Health and Safety associates, as well as provide guidance to the field Asset Protection team to support the implementation and execution of regulatory compliance programs designed to protect the environment, assets and ensure a safe workplace. In this role you will collaborate with various other teams across Staples where you will act as a primary liaison with regulatory agencies as it relates to safety, health and environmental matters. You will successfully partner with both internal and external stakeholders to help conduct investigations of serious incidents and provide the appropriate responses. You are a problem solver who thrives on implementing programs designed to improve overall safety for our associates and reduce workers compensation costs for the organization. Qualifications :
What's needed - Basic Qualifications
- Proven success implementing and managing a comprehensive, multi-site EH&S program (with a focus on Injury Prevention, Regulatory Compliance, After-Injury Management, Associate Training and Auditing/Action Planning).
- Bachelor's Degree in Occupational Safety and Health or similar discipline, or seven (7) years of equivalent training and experience that provides a comprehensive understanding of occupational safety and health principles and practices.
- Ten (10) or more years of experience working in EH & S, specifically with five (5) or more years in a supervisory position and responsibility for multi-site organization.
- Strong interpersonal, analytical and decision-making skills
- Excellent organizational skills as well as oral and written communications skills
- Demonstrated ability to build strong working relationships with key stakeholders
What's needed- Preferred Qualifications
- In depth knowledge and understanding of key Environmental Health and Safety regulations including OSHA, DOT, FMCSA, EPA and FDA regulations specifically as they relate to warehousing and distribution operations, parcel delivery and production facilities.
- Experience with strategic development and implementation of policies and procedures governing the safe and proper packaging, labeling, handling, delivery and disposal of hazardous commodities/merchandise.
- Advanced knowledge of Occupational Health & Safety Administration (OSHA) laws and regulations as they apply to general industry and specifically to the general warehousing industry NAICS 493110
- Subject Matter Expert and content contributor to the development and revision of training programs related to EH&S including.
- Powered Industrial Trucks (MHE)
- Customer safety/liability
- Work Place Violence
- Hazardous materials transportation
- Hazardous substance/waste disposal
- Chemical safety (Hazard Communication)
- Fall Protection
- Rack Safety
- Control of hazardous energy (LOTO) - conveyors, balers, electrical risks
- Powered Conveyor safety & robotics
- PPE identification and selection & worksite hazard assessments
- Food Safety Defense (pest control, stock expiration/rotation, training, recalls)
- Incident Investigation/Root cause analysis
- Ergonomic risk factor identification and control
- Fleet Safety (defensive driving, collision investigation & management)
- DOT qualification, Medical screening & drug testing requirement
Staples believes Inclusion is a verb and we encourage diversity of thinking and ideas as well as backgrounds and experiences. Staples is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, or any other basis protected by federal, state, or local law.
Get tailored job recommendations based on your interests.