Job DescriptionLocation: Northern California
Orion Managed Services, LLC. (Orion) is hiring entry level field biologists. These are full-time, hourly positions on Orion's professional career track. Some over-time and weekend work may be required. Qualified individuals will hold four-year degrees in biology, botany, horticulture, forestry, ecology, natural resources, environmental studies, or related field. Positions are 100 percent field-based and require the ability to relocate to assigned geographies for extended durations of time and the ability to periodically relocate as assignments change. Work locations will generally be in foothill communities of the Sierra Nevada Mountain and Coastal Mountain ranges of California.
Candidates will demonstrate ability to quickly become proficient at data collection using tablet-based electronic data capture devices. Initial field assignments will be to conduct urban forestry practices in and around high-voltage utility lines and be able to conduct surveys and inspection of electric system rights-of-ways to determine vegetation management and clearance requirements for encroaching vegetation and hazard trees, with minimal supervision.
Field biologists will be responsible to assess vegetation encroachment and hazard trees within utility rights-of-ways under the direct supervision of certified foresters / arborists. Biologists will also be responsible to identify sensitive habitats and species of special concern.
Orion is a professional services firm that offers competitive salary, benefits, and compensation to its employees. Orion's biologists are provided a housing allowance to facilitate field-based assignments that require frequent relocations to assigned districts/regions. As business need dictates, biologist positions are eligible for vehicle stipends or company vehicles.
If you are looking to join a dynamic, nimble and performance-oriented company that provides strong incentives and rewards to its employees, this position can become a stepping-stone for your career. Orion is a rapidly growing professional services firm whose clients include large investor-owned utilities. We are at the forefront of efforts to mitigate the impacts of climate change upon utility infrastructure and our professionals are helping to address carbon emissions, electric system resiliency to climate induced catastrophic events, and other programs related to climate adaptation. We are seeking career minded professionals who are self-starters, who possess a high degree of personal leadership, and who want to learn and grow in a dynamic environment. Requirements
- Four-year BS/BA degree in biology, botany, horticulture, forestry, ecology, natural resources, environmental studies, or related field
- Driver's license
- Experience driving off-road and with 4-wheel drive vehicles
- Ability to work outdoors in inclement weather and to hike and walk over rough terrain in mountainous areas
- Competence with laptops, tablets, smartphones, and Microsoft Office.
- Ability to use utility prescribed vegetation management software, including utility proprietary mobile tree assessment platforms, or equivalent field data collection software.
- Strong interpersonal skills, ability to resolve problems and to work with staff and utility customers effectively.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to pass a pre-employment background check and drug screening
- Ability to relocate to assigned geography and to accept field-based assignments that may require periodic relocation
- Ability to periodically travel overnight
- Ability to work over-time and occasionally to work weekends
- M.S. degree in biology, botany, horticulture, forestry, ecology, natural resources, environmental studies, or related field
- Courses or project work in GIS and Data Quality, Environmental Compliance, Safety, Audit and Risk Assessment
- Current ISA Arborist Certificate,
- Tree Risk Assessment Qualification Certificate (TRAQ)
- Certified Safety specialist
- Current First Aid and CPR certificate
To apply for this position or other career opportunities, please visit our website: https://www.orionmsgroup.com/careers.html
Company DescriptionOrion is a professional advisory and field services company supporting utilities and other companies in responding to wildfire and asset risk. We are a California based company whose founders are a team of professionals with diverse backgrounds in utility operations, project and program management, process and operational excellence, and technology enablement.
We bring new perspectives and leverage our industry partnerships to solve everyday business challenges in vegetation management, asset hardening, safety, program management, transmission and distribution asset inspection, and quality verification. Orion's founders believe that utilities are essential to our communities and we all depend on safe, reliable gas, and electricity.
Orion is a minority business enterprise with its founding principals experienced in providing high quality services for public and private companies for over 25 years.