Microbiologist - Southport, NC
Microbiologist - Southport, NC
Citric Acid Processing
This is an exempt level position.
This position is responsible for maintaining cultures used in fermentation production as well as supervise daily activities of the culture laboratory. Will provide leadership to the culture lab team, as well as plan and deploy continuous improvement opportunities for lab instrumentation, procedures, and colleagues. This position will facilitate lab output of monitoring fermentation culture performance as well as ensuring Quality and Food/Feed Safety compliance of finished products. Will report to the QFS Manager at Southport.
Primary Job Functions:
- Lead Culture lab Safety program and help facilitate ADM Safety initiatives
- Ensure compliance of all laboratory colleagues with Safety, Quality and Environmental policies and procedures
- Ensure training, proficiency, and development of laboratory technicians in all aspects of aseptic techniques, culture maintenance and lab analysis using lab scale fermentations, HPLC, sugar analyzers and titrators
- Maintaining, developing and improving fermentation cultures for production yield, propagation and storage viability and yeast cell characteristics
- Solid understanding of fermentation processes and intricacies of how inputs effect product outputs
- Facilitate development, approval, implementation and maintenance of laboratory records, policies and procedures, adhering to applicable feed standards and regulations, as well as ADM Quality initiatives
- Ensure standardization, maintenance and optimization of Culture lab data inputs and outputs, including analytical testing as well as key performance indicators and metrics for success
- Lead all aspects of selection, installation, validation and maintenance of laboratory instrumentation
- Collaborate with QA and Operations leadership to ensure lab colleague education on, and compliance with, applicable food/feed safety protocols and expectations
- Collaborate with QA and Operations leadership to implement and develop Food/Feed Safety programs, and ensure that process changes consider impacts to Quality and Food/Feed Safety
- Provide technical consultation to Operations team for culture and fermentation product analysis
- Collaborate with other ADM locations on laboratory troubleshooting, improvement and standardization objectives
- Arrange and help provide troubleshooting support to the culture lab on weekends, holidays and outside of regular business hours
- Minimum Bachelor's degree in Microbiology, Biology or similar science field
- 5 years of laboratory experience in a microbiology lab or yeast culture maintenance setting preferred
- Excellent communication skills to provide mentorship and feedback
- Good leadership skills and supervisory experience required
- Desire to see continuous improvement in processes and programs
- Ability to troubleshoot standard lab equipment (HPLC, Sugar Analyzers, Titrators, etc.) preferred
- Ability to work as a team member and independently
- Solid understanding of Microsoft Office, Statistics, cGMP, cGLP, ISO, USP-NF, FCC, HACCP desired
Employees in this position working at this location are [or may be] exposed to temperature extremes, noise, dust, and various potential chemical, due to the nature of our business and the requirements of the job. If there is any reason such exposure would interfere with your ability to perform this role or work at the location, please advise the hiring manager.
Ability to climb stairs, lift and move 50 pounds, sit and stand for long periods. Working in confined spaces, exposure to heights, bending, kneeling, computer operations.
Relocation assistance is available with this position.
This position offers a complete benefit package, including 401K/ESOP, pension, health, life and dental insurance.
ADM requires the successful completion of applicable pre-employment drug screen, medical questionnaire and a background check.
NC - North Carolina
ADM is an equal opportunity employer and makes employment decisions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability and veterans status.
At ADM, we unlock the power of nature to provide access to nutrition worldwide. With industry-advancing innovations, a complete portfolio of ingredients and solutions to meet any taste, and a commitment to sustainability, we give customers an edge in solving the nutritional challenges of today and tomorrow. We're a global leader in human and animal nutrition and the world's premier agricultural origination and processing company. Our breadth, depth, insights, facilities and logistical expertise give us unparalleled capabilities to meet needs for food, beverages, health and wellness, and more. From the seed of the idea to the outcome of the solution, we enrich the quality of life the world over. Learn more at www.adm.com.