The American Physiological Society (APS) was founded in 1887 and is a global leader in expanding knowledge related to biological function. It connects a multidisciplinary community of nearly 10,000 scientists and educators from around the world, driving collaboration and spotlighting scientific discoveries in physiology and related disciplines. The members are advancing treatments and cures for everything from cancer and heart disease, to obesity and addiction. They are also deepening insight into living organisms generally, helping us to better understand how things like climate change are affecting the world around us.
APS is seeking a Science Policy Analyst that will report to the Director of Science Policy and Government Relations and will help fulfill APS' advocacy role by:
* Tracking legislative and regulatory issues related to federal funding for biomedical research, the use of animals in biomedical research, biomedical research workforce, and other science policy issues.
* Helping develop and implement advocacy strategies in support of Society positions on research funding, animal research, and other science policy issues.
* Supporting the American Physiological Society's Science Policy (SP) and Animal Care and Experimentation (ACE) Committees.
* Representing APS in meetings with external scientific and advocacy organizations and coalitions, and represent the department in internal APS activities and projects.
* Writing about science policy for the Society's website, news magazine and social media and contribute to other communications efforts.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions such as:
* Identifying and assessing emerging legislative and policy issues related to federal funding for biomedical research, the use of animals in biomedical research and teaching, the biomedical research workforce, and other science policy issues.
* Drafting policy statements, legislative briefs and advocacy recommendations in consultation with Committee members and the Director of Science Policy.
* Representing APS in external meetings and represent the department in internal meetings.
* Working with the Director of Science Policy and other staff to organize committee meetings, congressional visits, symposia and webinars.
* Contributing to APS communications efforts by writing about science policy issues for the [Societyâ€™s website](https://www.the-aps.org/career/policy-advocacy?SSO=Y), the [Physiologist Magazine](https://www.the-aps.org/publications/news/the-physiologist-magazine?SSO=Y), and the [@SciPolAPS](https://twitter.com/SciPolAPS?lang=en&lang=en) Twitter feed.
* Excellent oral and written communications
* Strong interpersonal skills with ability to work as a team
* Familiarity with government relations, science policy and advocacy
* Good organizational skills and the ability to meet deadlines while managing multiple projects
*Required Education and Experience*
* Advanced degree in physiology or a related life science.
* A minimum of one year of science policy experience with a life sciences association (i.e., working with scientists to develop policy statements; obtaining approvals through organizational channels; and organizing symposia and webinars).
* Familiarity with the congressional legislative and appropriations processes and experience conducting meetings with members of Congress and staff.
* Familiarity with executive branch activities such as the development and implementation of policies or regulations.
*Preferred Education and Experience*
* PhD in physiology or a related life science.
* At least three years of science policy experience.
* Familiarity with animal research issues and oversight requirements.
This job description is not designed to provide a comprehensive listing of job requirements. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
This is a full-time, exempt position. APS offers exceptional benefits including professional development opportunities, 403-B retirement, medical, dental and vision insurance, life insurance, short- and long-term disability, and free parking are offered.
This position is located in Rockville, Maryland and in walking distance to Metro and on major bus lines.
Please send your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
To learn more about APS, please visit: https://www.physiology.org