Microbiology Lab Technician I
- Please wait...
Date: Aug 29, 2021
Location: Durham, NC, US, 27712
Corning is one of the world's leading innovators in materials science, with a 166-year track record of life-changing inventions. Corning applies its unparalleled expertise in glass science, ceramics science, and optical physics, along with its deep manufacturing and engineering capabilities, to develop category-defining products that transform industries and enhance people's lives. Corning Valor™ Glass is an example of a life-changing innovation purpose-built to store and protect injectable medicines. Corning is also a global leader in pharmaceutical tubing, manufacturing a variety of clear and amber glass tubing that is converted by our customers into vials, cartridges, ampules and syringes.
Corning succeeds through sustained investment in R&D, a unique combination of material and process innovation, and close collaboration with customers to solve tough technology challenges.
Under the supervision of the Microbiology Lab Supervisor, technician performs sample collection, microbiological and tissue culture tasks associated with new or modified products or processes, contamination control and sterilization operations. Meaningful role that supports the Quality Assurance Department by taking an active role in team sharing, problem solving tasks, team activities and team and plant-wide subgroups focusing on the plant goals of safety, quality, schedule and cost.
Day to Day Responsibilities:
- Performs environmental monitoring (EM) for production areas, processes and personnel for evaluating microbial and particulate contamination using air samplers, settle plates, contact plates, and particle counters.
- Collects and tests product samples according to detailed procedures. Maintains cell line cultures and microbial cultures. Duties may include cell harvesting, scheduling cell line maintenance, conducting routine media changes, reviving newly purchased cell, quantifying cell inoculum.
- Performs general laboratory tasks such as media preparation, autoclaving supplies, wash and prepare glassware, discard waste and cultures following appropriate practices. Performs / monitors routine preventive maintenance and monitoring of laboratory equipment and supplies.
- Maintains accurate and current records of all results and procedures. Ensure a high degree of accuracy in all tests results acquired.
- Aligns with safety standards and Good Laboratory Practice standards!
- Interacts with production personnel to ensure product sample collection.
- Must have a minimum of a two-year Associate Degree with course work in chemistry and biology.
- One (1) year experience in a microbiology laboratory technician or microbiology testing lab position.
- Requires good written and oral communication skills. Must be highly motivated, detail oriented, possess excellent interpersonal and problem-solving skills, and be effective as a standout colleague.
- Must possess the ability to work independently, prioritize and multi-task projects! Results-oriented
- Independent problem solver, self-starter, and perform responsibilities under very limited supervision.
- Solid understanding of spreadsheet applications and word processing to perform vital tasks for preparing required correspondence, reports and communication.
- Must be flexible and be willing to work overtime as the need arises.
- Prior experience with a high-performance work team system preferred.
This position does not support immigration sponsorship.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability statusor any other legally protected status.
We prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, color, gender, age, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, veteran status or any other legally protected status.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
Nearest Major Market: Durham
Nearest Secondary Market: Raleigh
- Please wait...