Executive Director, Environmental Health and Safety
United States - California - Foster City
Gilead Sciences, Inc. is a research-based bio-pharmaceutical company that discovers, develops and commercializes innovative medicines in areas of unmet medical need. With each new discovery and investigational drug candidate, we seek to improve the care of patients living with life-threatening diseases around the world. Gilead's therapeutic areas of focus include HIV/AIDS, liver diseases, cancer and inflammation, and serious respiratory and cardiovascular conditions.Making an impact on a global scale
Inclusion is one of the company's five core values. That's because we know that we are stronger and more innovative at Gilead when we are informed by a diverse set of backgrounds, experiences and points of view. Gilead Sciences is a biopharmaceutical company that discovers, develops and commercializes innovative therapeutics in areas of unmet medical need. The company's mission is to advance the care of patients suffering from life-threatening diseases worldwide.
When you join Gilead, you join our mission to change the world by enabling people to live healthier and more fulfilling lives. Come join a mission-driven bio-pharmaceutical organization that values inclusion and diversity, has a strong portfolio of products, and is constantly #CreatingPossible
The Executive Director, Environmental Health and Safety leads Gilead's EH&S worldwide organization by developing and implementing EHS compliance programs and championing initiatives related to risk management. This senior leader will report to the VP, Corporate Engineering and Facilities (CEF). This role is a strategic leadership position within CEF and will establish the overall strategy and roadmap for the EH&S function to enable the business achieving industry leading performance. The position is a member of the CEF Leadership Team and leads the Gilead EH&S Best Practices Council. The Executive Director is responsible for operations at Gilead's headquarters campus at Foster City, laboratory-based facilities, and corporate affiliate locations globally as well as partnering with the Manufacturing and Kite EH&S organizations. The role will provide leadership to all levels of management to integrate EH&S into operations, mentor and develop associates in the EH&S organization, build a collaborative cross-functional, team-oriented approach to EH&S management in the organization, and drive site sustainability initiatives supporting Gilead's Corporate Social Responsibility goals. This senior leader is also critical in supporting business development activities including environmental due diligence, integration post acquisition, and property risk management. The Executive Director will be accountable for EH&S compliance with all applicable International, Federal, State, and local environmental and safety regulations.Job Responsibilities
Knowledge, Experience and Skills
- Lead the Foster City and global EH&S teams, mentor associates and support career development
- Drive program implementation aligned with business priorities and site activities and needs by developing processes and tools that embed EH&S practices into operations across the enterprise
- Establish effective partnerships with senior managers and leadership to create a safety culture based on continuous improvement and a management systems approach
- Provide technical expertise relevant to biopharmaceutical operations in environmental compliance, occupational health, and safety disciplines
- Monitor EH&S regulations, legislation, and trends, evaluate potential business impacts, and communicate program changes effectively to stakeholders
- Provide feedback to stakeholders on EH&S performance through metrics and analytics. Evaluate trends to identify improvements in programs and emerging risks
- Leads the Gilead EH&S Best Practices Council made up of cross-business unit EH&S leads from across the company to bridge gaps, drive consensus, and enable local site independence to enable the business while operating with safety and compliance in all operations.
- Oversee EH&S implementation across the enterprise while managing environmental compliance, occupational health and safety program at Foster City. Ensure all EH&S permits and licenses are maintained, and regulatory reporting is performed on time. Implement a system for audits and oversight process for all global sites
- Maintain inspection readiness and interface with EH&S regulatory agencies during audits and inspections
- Define EH&S standards and guidelines, including construction safety, for facility maintenance and capital projects. Review capital projects for compliance with all safety and environmental requirements. Conduct risk assessments (PHA, HazOps) for high hazard processes and new materials introduced to the site
- Oversee managed services at the Foster City campus for chemical inventory including bulk solvent delivery, hazardous waste, occupational health clinic, life safety programs, and worker's compensation
- Partner with Facilities Operations and Corporate Security to lead the Foster City Emergency Response team. Support local and corporate Crisis Management teams when required
- Work effectively and cross-functionally with stakeholders in research, process development, commercial, and partner functions (e.g. Corporate Security, Engineering, Facilities Operations, Human Resources Legal, Procurement, and Risk Management) as well as with the Manufacturing and Kite EH&S organizations in workstreams as a lead, team member, or individual contributor
- Establish and maintain IT systems that enable standardization of EH&S processes across research, manufacturing, field-based, and commercial operations
- Attend professional meetings, relevant industry conferences, and industry networking events to remain current with benchmarks, regulatory issues and emerging trends
- Bachelor's degree in a relevant biopharmaceutical science field is expected. Master's degree is preferred
- Minimum of 16 years of experience in biopharmaceutical or life sciences industry requiring controls for active pharmaceutical ingredients, biological, chemical, ergonomics, industrial and physical hazards, radioactive materials, and regulated waste
- Understands the business and lead with a strategic, enterprise view
- Possesses or can complete certification as a Certified Industrial Hygienist, Certified Safety Professional, or similar certification preferred
- Excellent verbal and written communication
- Strong interpersonal skills, including the demonstrated ability to manage through influence
- Demonstrated experience in managing across multiple geographies as well as effectively leading a site EH&S program supporting diverse business operations
- Good business skills including budget management experience for multiple cost centers
- Ability to work and manage multiple priorities and timelines with agility to quickly adapt to changing circumstances
- Demonstrated leadership in managing high performance, attracting talent and communicating effectively to influence impact
- The ability to travel domestically and internationally as needed
- Influence - the ability to collaborate with colleagues at all levels and ensure they understand the vision, mission and execution to support the business objective.
- Strong teamwork and facilitation - effective at being a member of teams. Listens actively and responds constructively to needs and views of others.
- Delivery - gets the job done. exhibits a sense of urgency on critical time-dependent issues
- Demonstrates the ability to prioritize and is persistent to achieve the business objective
- Outstanding ability to quickly synthesize, develop, package and communicate concise, logical, fact-based presentations, and make well-founded recommendations to senior management.
- A level of professionalism and ability to present, speak and engage with various levels within an organization in a clear and concise way
For jobs in the United States:
As an equal opportunity employer, Gilead Sciences Inc. is committed to a diverse workforce. Employment decisions regarding recruitment and selection will be made without discrimination based on race, color, religion, national origin, gender, age, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, genetic information or characteristic, gender identity and expression, veteran status, or other non-job related characteristics or other prohibited grounds specified in applicable federal, state and local laws. In order to ensure reasonable accommodation for individuals protected by Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Vietnam Era Veterans' Readjustment Act of 1974, and Title I of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, applicants who require accommodation in the job application process may contact email@example.com for assistance.
For more information about equal employment opportunity protections, please view the ‘EEO is the Law' poster.
NOTICE: EMPLOYEE POLYGRAPH PROTECTION ACT
YOUR RIGHTS UNDER THE FAMILY AND MEDICAL LEAVE ACT
PAY TRANSPARENCY NONDISCRIMINATION PROVISION
Our environment respects individual differences and recognizes each employee as an integral member of our company. Our workforce reflects these values and celebrates the individuals who make up our growing team.
Gilead provides a work environment free of harassment and prohibited conduct. We promote and support individual differences and diversity of thoughts and opinion.
For Current Gilead Employees and Contractors:
Please log onto your Internal Career Site to apply for this job.