Senior Research Associate II, Drug Discovery Liver Biology
4 days left
- Salary Type
We are seeking a Senior Research Associate for the Drug Discovery Liver Biology Group at Homology Medicines. This individual is energetic and self-motivated with a desire to succeed at the highest level, joining a team of scientists aiming to develop unique AAV/Gene Editing technology for targeted indications. This member of our team will play a pivotal role in developing and or evaluating liver-based therapeutics for rare diseases using gene therapy with our novel capsids and our patented gene editing technology. This individual will interact with other team members to design and clone novel constructs, design and execute molecular and cellular assays and experiments to functionally evaluate our gene therapy /gene editing programs, and to define the mechanism of action in appropriate biological targets. Significant cross-functional collaboration with a talented and dedicated group of scientists including molecular biologists, cell biologists, bioinformaticians and virologists will ensure a diverse exposure to the drug discovery process. This position offers the opportunity to take part in the rapid translation of pre-clinical work to application of our technology platform into the clinical setting.
- Design and optimize new in vitro assays to screen, identify, and characterize gene targeting using mammalian cells or tissues and HMI's proprietary AAV technology.
- Design and optimize advanced molecular biology assays to genetically and functionally characterize gene editing, using HMI's proprietary AAV technology.
- Design, clone and assemble optimized gene expression cassettes.
- Strategically design and perform DNA/RNA isolation and analyses, PCR, qPCR, ddPCR.
- Develop functional cell-based assays, WB, ELISA, and enzyme assays.
- Perform laboratory experiments, report data, and suggest future work to management and to project teams.
- Maintain electronic laboratory notebook including accurate and detailed recording of methods, results, data analysis, and conclusions.
- Adept at conducting routine testing and at troubleshooting of multiple methods.
- BA/BS or MS in Biological Sciences with 8+ years of relevant industrial experience with demonstrated proficiency consistently performing cellular assays, molecular assays, and/or cloning.
- Works on complex issues where analysis of situations or data requires an in-depth evaluation of variable factors. Exercises judgment in selecting methods, techniques, and evaluation criteria for obtaining results.
- Proven ability to work independently and design experiments, trouble shoot, interpret and report data back to teams; determines methods and procedures on new assignments and may act as a resource for less experienced researchers.
- Highly analytical mind, attention to detail, and organization skills are critical.
- Collaborative and proactive attitude; networks with key contact subject matter experts outside own area of expertise.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Working knowledge of advanced molecular techniques and concepts.
- Experience with cell biology including maintenance of mammalian cell cultures, transient plasmid transfection, and Western blotting.
- Knowledge of DNA analysis software (SnapGene, Vector NTI, Geneious, Sequencher or similar).
- Experience in liver biology, monogenic liver disease, and long-term hepatocyte cultures is a plus.
- Familiarity with medium and high-throughput cell & molecular based assays and knowledge of AAV gene therapy is a plus.
- Experience with on-target editing assays is a plus.