Director, Strategy and Partnerships
Conservation International (CI) has been protecting nature for the benefit of all for over 30 years. Through science, policy, and partnerships, CI is helping build a healthier, more prosperous and more productive planet.
Reporting to the Senior Vice President (SVP) of the Moore Center for Science (MCS) at Conservation International (CI), the Director of Strategy and Partnerships is a key member of the Moore Center leadership team. Working closely with the SVP and other MCS leaders, the Director serves as the point person facilitating the implementation of the CI Science Strategy: managing workflows and processes to ensure timely development, launch, and delivery of programmatic initiatives, to accelerate their implementation and scaling, and to monitor and communicate the progress of individual initiatives and the Science Strategy as a whole. As part of the CI Science Strategy, the Director also works with the SVP and others to support the development and implementation of horizon scanning processes and a technology strategy.
Working closely with the SVP, the Director also supports the establishment and stewardship of strategic partnerships with other conservation organizations, academic institutions, government agencies, and companies, in order to help generate ground-breaking insights and solutions to the world’s most pressing environmental challenges.
Oversee implementation of CI Science Strategy. Manage workflows and processes to ensure timely development, launch, and delivery of programmatic initiatives; facilitate and accelerate initiative implementation and scaling, and facilitate and support efforts to monitor and communicate the progress of individual initiatives and the Science Strategy as a whole. Support development and implementation of horizon scanning processes and a technology strategy.
Develop & steward strategic partnerships. Support establishment and stewardship of strategic partnerships with other conservation organizations, academic institutions, government agencies, and companies. Foster partnership alignment with CI strategic priorities, especially CI Science Strategy.
Oversee monitoring & reporting of key metrics. Facilitate and support development and delivery of key performance metrics for strategic initiatives; lead development and delivery of key performance indicators for Moore Center as a whole.
Other duties as assigned.
- This position is based in Arlington, VA
- Flexibility in work schedule to accommodate time differences with Arlington and field programs may be necessary.
- Occasional travel may be required
- Bachelor's degree in the natural or social sciences or equivalent combination of education and experience
- 7 years of related work experience
- Superb interpersonal skills, including the ability to listen, use diplomacy and tact, and build strong relationships with partners, volunteers, and all levels of staff
- Team player and ability to effectively partner and collaborate with internal and external stakeholders
- Demonstrated project management skills
- Well-developed written and oral communication, negotiation, and organizational skills.
- Demonstrated understanding of biodiversity conservation, climate change, and/or international development issues
- Demonstrated experience in science writing and editing
- Demonstrated experience managing partnerships
- Demonstrated experience with performance measurement
- Experience with SharePoint, databases, and/or other collaborative software tools
- Spanish, Portuguese, or Bahasa Indonesia language skills
To apply for this position please submit a resume and cover letter.
Application Deadline: Applications will be reviewed beginning on July 1, 2021, and will continue until the position is filled.
See all Conservation International Career Opportunities HERE
Conservation International Values
We expect that all employees will embrace the values of our organization.
- Passion: Inspired by people and by nature, we are urgently compelled to drive change for a sustainable future.
- Integrity: We are honest, transparent and accountable for our actions.
- Teamwork: We work together as one CI, recognizing that inclusion, collaboration and cooperation are fundamental to achieving a healthy and prosperous world for all.
- Respect: We respect each other and work to earn trust, valuing our diversity of cultures, talents, and experiences.
- Courage: We pursue our vision, taking bold action, persevering and overcoming challenges.
- Optimism: We are optimistic about the capacity of people to be caring, generous and brilliant, and believe that with partners, we can inspire humanity to create a better future.
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Vets/Disabled