Urban Forestry Consultant

Pasadena, California, US
Jun 23, 2021
Sep 09, 2021
Employment Type
Full time
Salary Type
About the Job

Dudek is seeking an individual that shares our core value of ‘creating a healthy urban forest for our future' and looking for the opportunity to bring that value to communities throughout California.

You'll be a part of a team working daily to promote healthy and mature trees by providing expert arboriculture knowledge and urban forestry principles. The types of relevant experience for this position could include, but is not limited to, working as an arborist, community organizer, or in a municipality. This position will be based out of our Pasadena office. The position will require travel and spending approximately 65% of time in an office setting, and the other 35% completing field work.

Duties and Responsibilities
  • Assist in the preparation of urban forest management plans for municipal and other clients that deliver an implementable program towards a sustainable urban forest.
  • Complete field work for tree management plans, tree inventories, focused tree health and hazard assessments, and similar urban forestry projects.
  • Write chapters of urban forest management plans and arboriculture related reports including assessing trees for risk, health, and hazard conditions, summaries of inventories, and reviews of tree permit applications for municipalities.
  • Assist with completion of existing contracts including tree evaluations, tree inventories, arboricultural reports, tree impact analysis, mitigation measure formulation, and related arboricultural tasks.
  • Develop goals and strategies with the assistance of the group's Principal urban forester, to continue to grow the urban forestry practice through business development and marketing
  • Provide experienced based input on various urban forestry topics, technologies, protocols, and industry developments.
  • Prepare proposals, attend meetings and interviews, and represent Dudek's urban forestry practice as part of our ongoing business development.
  • Conduct project-based field work, sometimes in wildland areas with rough terrain and harsh conditions.
  • Work both individually and as part of project teams with members in different offices throughout California.
  • Required to occasionally travel throughout southern California with periodic travel to other portions of California, and beyond, as project's dictate

Minimum Qualifications
  • Bachelor's degree or equivalent
  • ISA certification required; additional arboricultural and/or urban forestry credentials a plus (e.g., Board Certified Master Arborist, ASCA Registered Consulting Arborist, TRAQ qualified, Registered Professional Forester, etc.)
  • An understanding of the components needed to develop an urban forest management plan, including data sources, urban forest sustainability principles, climate change, tree maintenance practices, ISA standards, and financing.
  • Must have experience with basic arboricultural procedures, urban forestry concepts and ability to learn various diagnostic equipment procedures

Preferred Qualifications
  • Proven ability to build partnerships and manage relationships that lead to the successful completion of projects and business growth.
  • Candidate must have proven writing skills at a professional level.
  • Experience working with municipal urban forest programs and city staff.
  • Experience with community engagement activities including facilitating workshops and strategic outreach planning.
  • Candidate must demonstrate professional communication skills, both written and oral.
  • Candidate should have demonstrated leadership, organization and problem-solving skills.

About Dudek

Dudek is a leading environmental and engineering firm that helps public and private clients plan and implement reliable, effective, and compliant projects. Founded in 1980, Dudek is a stable company that has grown steadily to more than 600 professionals across the U.S., located primarily in offices in California, Hawai'i, and Oregon.

As an employee-owned company, Dudek's culture rewards smart, productive team members with professional and financial benefits. Our offices are designed to encourage collaboration, sustainability, and connectivity with the surrounding communities.

Please visit www.dudek.com to learn more!

Dudek is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, age, disability, protected veteran status, or other characteristics protected by applicable law.

Powered by JazzHR