Location: LOC_ABRAMSON-Abramson Building
Req ID: 129832
Employment Status: Regular - Full Time Job Summary
The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia Research Institute is an interdisciplinary institution dedicated to conducting basic, clinical and translational research on conditions and diseases that affect children, and is part of The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia and University of Pennsylvania research community.
A Research Technician position
in Hematopoietic Stem Cell and Cancer Biology is available in the laboratory of Peter Kurre, M.D., at the Comprehensive Center for Bone Marrow Failure. The Laboratory functions as a dynamic environment with Research Technicians interacting students and postdoctoral fellows in the group. One of several labs in the Center, emphasis falls on preclinical and translational work and close collaboration with clinical staff. The Laboratory has longstanding expertise in Hematopoietic stem cell biology and investigates the biology of both fetal and adult hematopoietic stem cells with a specific emphasis on the cell-cell crosstalk in the microenvironment.
The successful applicant will participate in experiments covering a range of methods in cell and molecular biology. Demonstrated training and experience in both areas are desirable. Duties include assisting in the design, performance, and analysis of experiments. Candidates must be able to work effectively in an interactive environment and be highly motivated. Building and maintenance of an animal colony of transgenic mice is a core aspect of the position. Scrupulous attention to detail, good record keeping, the ability to work independently, and strong communication skills in an expanding workgroup are essential.
Experience in lab work is required. Directly relevant work experience is preferred. Independence in design and implementation of experiments is expected with increased responsibility for managing research and animal husbandry. Direct accountability for animal colony management including regulatory compliance. Experience in cellular and molecular biology, including RNA/DNA work are desirable, as is experience in mammalian cell culture. Experience in data organization involving scientific software and MS office suite. Dedication to biomedical bench research and the implicit flexibility in work structure and schedule are critical.Job Responsibilities
Job Responsibilities (Continued)
- Performs routine tests under the direction of principal investigator or supervisor
- Performs research procedures on experimental samples as directed
- Records and checks results for completeness and accuracy
- Performs calculations and maintains appropriate log and lab notebooks
- Performs tasks that require familiarity with fundamental techniques and equipment
- Assists with planning specific research protocols and procedures
- Maintains office, lab area, reagents, supplies and equipment
- Cleans and performs routine maintenance on lab equipment
- Coordinates schedules of tests & procedures
- Attends courses, seminars, and lab meetings to expand knowledge of research and laboratory techniques
- Records results, organizes data and maintains lab notebook in an organized manner
- Conducts literary searches as directed
Job Responsibilities (Continued)Required Licenses, Certifications, Registrations
- Conduct research and develop new methods and protocols
- Build and manage research animal colony
- Participate in project planning, recording and evaluation of data
- Acquire technical lab skills
- Assist with other research projects
NoneRequired Education and Experience
- B.A., B.S. degree in Biological Sciences
According to the CMS (Centers for Medicaid and Medicare Services) a copy of diploma or transcript is required as proof of academic achievement for all non-laboratory personnel performing non-waived POC testing.
Required Experience: Nine (9) months of laboratory experiencePreferred Education, Experience & Cert/Lic
Preferred Education: Bachelor's Degree
Additional Technical RequirementsAll CHOP employees who work in a patient building or who provide patient care are required to receive an annual influenza vaccine unless they are granted a medical or religious exemption.Children's Hospital of Philadelphia is committed to providing a safe and healthy environment for its patients, family members, visitors and employees. In an effort to achieve this goal, employment at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia, other than for positions with regularly scheduled hours in New Jersey, is contingent upon an attestation that the job applicant does not use tobacco products.Children's Hospital of Philadelphia is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, religion, national or ethnic origin, disability or protected veteran status.VEVRAA Federal Contractor/Seeking priority referrals for protected veterans. Please contact our hiring official with any referrals or questions.CHOP Careers Contact Talent Acquisition2716 South Street, 6th FloorPhiladelphia, PA 19146
- Eighteen (18) months of laboratory experience
- Related internship experience.