The Job Details are as follows:
What we do
United Therapeutics Corporation focuses on the strength of a balanced, value-creating biotechnology model. We are confident in our future thanks to our fundamental attributes, namely our commitment to quality and innovation, the power of our brands, our entrepreneurial culture and our bioinformatics leadership. We also believe that our determination to be responsible citizens - having a positive impact on patients, the environment and society - will sustain our success in the long term.
We currently have five approved products on the market and a long-term mission of providing an unlimited supply of transplantable organs for those who need them.
Our company was founded by an entrepreneur whose daughter was diagnosed with a life-threatening condition. She sought to find treatment options and a cure for her daughter and patients like her. We are founder-led, and relentless in our pursuit of "medicines for life". We continue to research and develop treatments for cardiovascular and pulmonary diseases, pediatric cancers and other orphan diseases.
How you'll contribute
The Research Associate I, Cell Biology works in a cross-disciplinary R&D team, in collaboration with internal and external partners, focused on organ manufacturing. The successful candidate will be responsible for carrying out pilot and large-scale mammalian cell differentiation and expansion, as well as assay development and implementation for determining the function and quality of desired cell types for use in cellularization of natural and synthetic scaffolds to create functional human organs.
- Perform culture of transformed and primary mammalian cells, including media preparation, cell passaging and quantitation, preparation of cell samples for analysis, cell cryopreservation, and use of 2D and 3D culture methods.
- Differentiate stem cells to defined cell types using mammalian cell culture and molecular methods, such as transfection and viral transformation.
- Develop and apply cell-based assays including sample and reagent preparation in 96 and other multi-well formats, use of analytical instruments such as spectrophotometers, and data analysis using applications such as GraphPad Prism.
- Perform routine molecular techniques, including DNA/RNA preparation and quantitation, PCR/RT-PCR/digital droplet PCR, gel electrophoresis, and analysis of results of DNA/RNA sequencing using standard applications.
- Use bioreactors for large scale mammalian cell culture.
- Create and optimize experimental protocols and procedures, and generate reproducible and reliable results.
- Compile data and results; document and maintain laboratory notebooks and computer files; communicate results to supervisor, team and other members of organization as necessary.
- Complete projects and tasks in a consistent and timely manner.
- Work in accordance with health and safety guidelines.
- Other duties as assigned.
For this role you will need
- Bachelor's degree in biology or related discipline
- 1+ year of postgraduate industrial and/or academic experience in cell biology
- 1+ years' hands-on experience with culture of transformed and primary mammalian cells
- Combination of education and experience may be considered
- Ability to develop, implement, and interpret results from cell-based assays
- Excellent organization and communication skills
- Master's degree in biology, cell biology, or related discipline
- 1+ years' experience with lung cells preferred
- Familiarity with use of GraphPad Prism, electronic lab notebooks, and related laboratory-based software
- Use of bioreactors for large scale mammalian cell culture
Life as a Unitherian
At United Therapeutics, you'll realize quickly that it is not an ordinary place to work! When you join our company, you will learn, grow, contribute, have fun, and be challenged... all while making a difference in the lives of our patients.
United Therapeutics Corporation is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer - EOE Minorities / Females / Protected Veterans / Individuals with Disabilities
We strive to be an organization that engages the minds, hearts, and most spirited efforts of each of our employees. Our sense of purpose transforms what we do from work into mission, occupation into vocation and achievement into success.
We challenge our employees with innovative and revolutionary projects, offer an environment which fosters high-level job performance and provide a highly competitive total rewards package. This is what makes United Therapeutics a stimulating place to work.