What You Will Do
Expand your research skills and cultivate your desire to learn by joining our Computational Earth Science team! The EES-16 Group in the Earth and Environmental Sciences (EES) Division at Los Alamos National Laboratory (LANL) has an immediate opening for multiple Postmasters student positions and is looking for individuals with an interest in earth systems sciences, data analysis and modeling. You will work as part of the Applied Terrestrial, Energy, and Atmospheric Modeling team performing tasks to support and contribute to a variety of research that may include some or all of the following: hydrological study of extreme events, wind event analysis in complex terrain, Arctic systems research, and regional wildfire modeling under climate change. The position requires a willingness to help out with some or all of the following: data management and analysis programming, GIS analysis and mapping, statistical analysis, and modeling. The term of the appointment is two (2) years.
What You Need
Minimum Job Requirements:
- A Master's degree in STEM
- Experience in a programming language such as Python, R, or others
- Education or research experience in environmental/earth sciences, geology, hydrology, atmospheric science, or geospatial analysis
- Experience with data analysis and visualization tools
- Geospatial analysis and mapping skills using ArcGIS or QGIS, or equivalent program
- Previous experience with, or interest in models of earth system processes, including hydrology and climate, such as CLM/ELM, VIC, SWAT, or WRF
Education *:* Candidates must have received a Master's degree with a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.2 on a 4.0 scale, or its equivalent, at the time of hire, or within the last 3 years, but have not yet been accepted or enrolled in a graduate program.
Note to Applicants:
The application package consists of a CV and a cover letter. Your cover letter should explicitly address how you meet each of the minimum requirements and any of the desired skills, if applicable. No applicant is expected to have all of the desired skills. Anyone who meets the minimum requirements is encouraged to apply.
Please apply through jobs.lanl.gov. Address your cover letter to Dr. Katrina Bennett and Dr. Alex Jonko. Applications will be reviewed as received. We expect to fill the position by July 2021. Additional questions may be directed to Katrina (firstname.lastname@example.org). Applications sent only to the email addresses and not to the jobs.lanl.gov site will not be considered.
LANL Post Masters students start with a minimum annual salary of $67,517.
Location: This position will be physically located in Los Alamos, NM.
Where You Will Work
Located in beautiful northern New Mexico, Los Alamos National Laboratory (LANL) is a multidisciplinary research institution engaged in strategic science on behalf of national security. Our generous benefits package includes:
§ PPO or High Deductible medical insurance with the same large nationwide network
§ Dental and vision insurance
§ Free basic life and disability insurance
§ Paid maternity and parental leave
§ Award-winning 401(k) (6% matching plus 3.5% annually)
§ Learning opportunities and tuition assistance
§ Flexible schedules and time off (paid sick, vacation, and holidays)
§ Onsite gyms and wellness programs
§ Extensive relocation packages (outside a 50 mile radius)
Directive 206.2 -_ _Employment with Triad requires a favorable decision by NNSA indicating employee is suitable under NNSA Supplemental Directive 206.2 ._ _Please note that this requirement applies only to citizens of the United States. Foreign nationals are subject to a similar requirement under DOE Order 142.3A.
No Clearance: Position does not require a security clearance. Selected candidates will be subject to drug testing and other pre-employment background checks.
New-Employment Drug Test: The Laboratory requires successful applicants to complete a new-employment drug test and maintains a substance abuse policy that includes random drug testing.
For general program information refer to the Student Programs web page.
Internal Applicants: Regular appointment employees who have served the required period of continuous service in their current position are eligible to apply for posted jobs throughout the Laboratory. If an employee has not served the required period of continuous service, they may only apply for Laboratory jobs with the documented approval of their Division Leader. Please refer to PolicyPolicy P701for applicant eligibility requirements.
Equal Opportunity: Los Alamos National Laboratory is an equal opportunity employer and supports a diverse and inclusive workforce. All employment practices are based on qualification and merit, without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, religion, age, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation or preference, marital status or spousal affiliation, physical or mental disability, medical conditions, pregnancy, status as a protected veteran, genetic information, or citizenship within the limits imposed by federal laws and regulations. The Laboratory is also committed to making our workplace accessible to individuals with disabilities and will provide reasonable accommodations, upon request, for individuals to participate in the application and hiring process. To request such an accommodation, please send an email to email@example.com or call 1-505-665-4444 option 1.
Instructions on How to Activate/Create a LANL Jobs Account:
Follow the instructions below if you have ever had an employee Z number, been a contractor, or received Los Alamos Lab insurance coverage to activate your account:
- Select the Click Here button if you have been employed with the Lab or received insurance coverage .
- Please enter only your first and last name and current email address (an email with your validation code will be sent to you) to activate the account currently in our system.
- Enter your validation code as described in the email you receive and complete the 3-page registration form. Your account is now active and you can apply for jobs or save to your basket. Important : Enter the validation code within 15 days to activate your account or your account will be deactivated.
Follow the instructions below if you if you have never been employed with the Lab or received insurance coverage to create an account:
- Select the Register button if you have never been employed with the Lab or received insurance coverage to Create an Account.
- From here, you will establish an account with username and password.
How to Apply: Login to Your Account to Complete the Application Process
- Click the Vacancy Name number (in blue) to view any job's details.
- Click Apply or Add to Basket to apply later. Tip : To apply for a job or save your basket, you must have a LANL jobs account.
If you experience any technical issues, please email firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
Contact Name Lopez, Alexine F C (Alexine)
Vacancy Name: IRC85482
Organization Name EES-16/Computational Earth Science
Req ID: IRC85482
Category: Student - Post Master