6 months contract-to-hire for a Biology Technician in Columbus, OH
Our client is currently seeking Biological Sciences Contractors to provide support to government and commercial programs focused on the development, evaluation, and implementation of materials, devices, and techniques designed to detect, provide protection against, and mitigate the effects of chemical, biological, and radiological hazards. This position is located in Columbus, OH.
The Biological Science Technician will include the following responsibilities:
• Support design, execution, and reporting of experiments rooted in microbiology, biochemistry, and molecular biology within structured regulatory and quality frameworks (e.g. Select Agent regulations, ISO 9001:2008, and GLP) including, but not limited to:
• Microbiological and cell culture procedures
• Protein isolation and characterization
• Decontaminating equipment and materials
• Understanding and performing dilutions
• Preparing reagents
• Performance of routine and non-routine laboratory procedures to support analytical operations -
• Recognize and report when technical operations deviate from accepted practices.
• Provide input to supervisors on planning personal daily/weekly/monthly work training schedules to maximize efficiency and develop technical skills.
• Use proper techniques to operate equipment to produce high quality data. Operate routine computer programs and perform basic data manipulations. Set up, qualify, and operate laboratory equipment and software. Ensure that all equipment used for studies is routinely maintained and/or calibrated.
• Assist in data generation, analysis, and presentation, to include assisting in the authorship of standard operating procedures, test plans, methods, and reports.
• Work independently and effectively in a team environment and display an interest in developing job skills, and in gaining additional expertise through training and/or educational study.
• Maintain good work attendance record and be punctual for all project work.
• Schedule flexibility sufficient to accommodate occasional non-standard work hours.
• Adhere to all laboratory safety requirements and respond appropriately to various alarms and potential emergency situations.
• Collect and transport biohazardous waste bins to satellite accumulation site. This activity will require routine lifting and stacking of 40 lb containers and transport by cart over slight inclines.
• Perform safety checks on fire extinguishers, safety showers and eyewashes, compressed gas cylinders, and electrical cords/outlets.
• Monitor temperatures in cold storage units and respond to alarm conditions.
• Check equipment calibration status and coordinate maintenance or service as needed.
• Conduct annual property accounting inventories.
• Conduct periodic checks of stored chemicals for labeling requirements and expiration dates.
This position will report to the Biology Manager, but may receive direction from any laboratory staff member, so proven ability to work in a team environment is essential. Preferred candidates will possess or be working toward a Bachelor's degree in Biochemistry or Microbiology or similar with experience working in a laboratory environment, will maintain excellent laboratory records, and will have strong verbal and written communication skills.