Mission-driven LanzaTech is a revolutionary solution to climate change, capturing pollution to clean our skies and oceans and create new high value products for a sustainable future. LanzaTech captures pollution to make fuels and chemicals, including sustainable jet fuel and products you use every day. The technology is like retrofitting a brewery onto an emission source like a steel mill or a landfill site, but instead of using sugars and yeast to make beer, pollution is converted by biology to fuels and chemicals! Imagine a day when your plane is powered by recycled emissions, when your yoga pants started life as pollution from a steel mill. This future is possible using LanzaTech technology.
- 2021 Biofuels Digest #1 Hottest Company in Renewable Fuels, Chemicals & Biomaterials
- 2020 Biofuels Digest #3 Best Company to work for in the Advanced Bioecomony
- 2020 Fast Company World Changing Company
- 2020 CNBC #43 on Top 50 Disrupter Companies list
- 2019 Chicago Innovation Awards Winner
- 2019 Fortune Magazine - Change the World - Companies to watch
- 2019 Kirkpatrick Chemical Engineering Achievement Award
- LanzaTech is committed to Diversity, Equity & Inclusion as part of our mission, culture & core values
This position is open to candidates authorized to work in the United States on a full-time basis for any employer. LanzaTech is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. About the role
We have an exciting opportunity for a Senior Chemical Process Modeling and Simulation Engineer to support innovative process technology development and commercialization initiatives using advanced process modeling tools. We are looking for an experienced advanced degree Chemical Engineer to develop both first principal and empirically based process models based to support scale-up and process intensification technology development efforts. These models will be used to produce millions of tons of fuels and chemical intermediates via heterogeneous catalysis in numerous process plants worldwide.
The individual selected for this position will lead the modeling and process development engineering efforts to upgrade the products from ethanol to commercial chemicals and fuels. Determination of needed process intensifications combined with established refining and petrochemical processing principles will lead to LanzaTech's ability to scale up and commercialize new product technology. Initial responsibilities include project ownership for the chemical process design, modeling, intensification and project integration to fuels and chemicals. This position will participate on cross-functional global teams.Key Duties
Qualifications and Experience
- Incorporate knowledge and data for transport properties, kinetics, and thermodynamics for heterogeneous catalytic reactions into reaction engineering simulations and models.
- Provide guidance and incorporate learnings from bench- and demonstration-scale experimental process development programs, and translate experimental findings to commercial applications.
- Maintain and improve existing suite of modeling tools to support R&D, Sales, and Field Operations.
- Design and continually enhance data feedback and transfer mechanisms to simulation models to provide advanced performance monitoring tools for commercial and demonstration scale plants.
- Integrate reactor based process and simulation models with user-oriented customer-facing tools for advanced process control and key performance indicator (KPI) monitoring.
- Maintain process flow diagrams via reactor models to define and improve heat and material balance knowledge of the process
- Maintain effective communication with project team members and with the customer
- Work with internal and external customers to identify, evaluate and optimize process solutions related to process modeling, R&D, optimization, design, costing and implementation
- PhD in Chemical Engineering or related engineering or scientific discipline developing kinetic and reactor modeling of heterogeneous catalyst systems.
- 10+ years of process modeling and simulation experience for commercial plant support, process development experience in Refining (preferably fuels) with an engineering company, technology licensor or a chemical producer company
- Advanced knowledge in chemical kinetics, transport phenomena, and thermodynamics applied to heterogeneous catalysis.
- Skilled with industry standard simulation program such as Aspen Plus, HYSYS and similar process modeling software
- Advanced knowledge of both steady-state and dynamic process simulation software
- Experience in kinetic, transport, and reaction engineering modeling with a commercial focus in refining, petrochemical, and/or gas processing applications.
- Demonstrated skills in flowsheet synthesis and optimization.
- Demonstrated experience translating experimental program data to modeling & technology development efforts.
- Demonstrated skills in working with large experimental data sets used for model development.
- Demonstrated strong problem-solving skills with ability to parse complex technical problems.
- Demonstrated experience in design, execution and analysis of experiments or scale up of processes.
- Demonstrated experience in process intensification of equipment, methodology and sustainability.
- Working knowledge of process instrumentation and control loops.
- Skills with commercial estimating software such as AspenTech Capital Cost Estimator or In-Plant Cost Estimator
- Practical knowledge of conceptual estimating procedures and methodologies
- Detail-oriented and experienced in communicating instructions to other team members.
- Team player that thrives in a cutting edge, fast paced, entrepreneurial environment.
- Strong organizational, time management, and communication skills.
- Experience with "Stage Gate" or "FEL" engineering process methods
- Self-motivated with the ability to take initiative and work independently.
- Advanced MS Office skills (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Knowledge of fermentation and gasification technology a plus.
Powered by JazzHR