Interdisciplinary Supv Biologist, Hydrologist, Geologist (Deputy Regional Director-Northeast Region)
- Interdisciplinary Supv Biologist, Hydrologist, Geologist (Deputy Regional Director-Northeast Region)
Learn more about this agency
As the Deputy Regional Director within the Northeast Region, some of your specific duties will include:
- Shares responsibility with the Regional Director for planning, directing and evaluating all science and operational activities in the science centers with the geographic area and in collaboration with the Regional Director, develops regional plans and implements policies and procedures.
- Provides advice and information to the Regional Director on matters related to policy and program development, budget formulation, and emerging national and regional issues; identifies programmatic opportunities and regional needs; works with Bureau and Regional managers to ensure that regional science priorities are translated to operational science plans.
- Coordinates and collaborates with the Associate Directors and Program Coordinators to effectively implement and manage science programs, to coordinate and implement programs, and to participate on strategic planning initiatives affecting the geographic area.
- Exercises a broad range of supervisory responsibilities over the employees assigned to the Regional Director and gives positive direction in implementing the organization's EEO commitment to fairness in the selection and treatment of employees; and fosters the development of employee skills to ensure that science centers are prepared to meet current and future responsibilities.
25% or less - Overnight travel of up to 3 nights per month may be expected.
Job family (Series)
0401 General Natural Resources Management And Biological Sciences
- Biological Scientists
Conditions of Employment
Key Requirements: Selectee may be subject to serving a one-year probationary period. More requirements are listed under Qualifications and Other Information.
Are There Any Special Requirements For This Position?
- You will be required to operate a government-owned or -leased vehicle in the performance of your official duties.? Applicants for this position must meet the following requirements:?(1) possess a valid State license, and (2) possess a safe driving record.? If selected, you will be required to provide proof of a valid State license & a copy of your driving record.
- This position requires completion of a one year supervisory/managerial probationary period, if one has not previously been completed.
- If selected for this position, you may be required to file one or more financial statements upon reporting and annually, some of which may be subject to public disclosure.
- Because this position requires travel for official business, the selectee will be required to apply for a charge card within 30 calendar days of appointment. Individuals who have delinquent account balances from a previous Government charge card will be required to satisfy their existing obligation before a new card can be issued.
- A background investigation will be required for this position. Continued employment will be subject to the applicant's successful completion of a background security investigation and favorable adjudication. Failure to successfully meet these requirements will be grounds for termination.
- Throughout the recruitment and hiring process we will be communicating with you via email; therefore, it is imperative that the email address you provide when applying for this vacancy remains active. Should your email address change, please notify the point of contact identified in the vacancy announcement as soon as possible so that we can update our system.
- If you are a Federal employee applying for a promotion (under merit promotion procedures) you must meet time-in-grade requirements by the closing date of the announcement.
BASIC EDUCATION REQUIREMENT FOR BIOLOGIST, GS-0401: Applicants must meet A or B below to satisfy the basic education requirement for Biologist, all grade levels.
A. Degree in biological sciences, agriculture, natural resource management, chemistry, or related disciplines appropriate to the position.
B. Combination of education and experience--courses equivalent to a major, as shown in A above (24 semester hours or the equivalent in biological sciences, agriculture, natural resource management, chemistry, or related disciplines appropriate to the position), plus appropriate experience and/or additional education for a total of 4 years. The education or combined education and experience must be comparable in type, scope and thoroughness to that acquired through successful completion of a 4-year course of study as described in "A" above. (CLICK HERE FOR DETAILS ON HOW TO COMBINE EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE)
BASIC EDUCATION REQUIREMENT FOR HYDROLOGIST, GS-1315: Applicants must meet A or B below to satisfy the basic education requirement for Hydrologist, all grade levels.
A. Successful completion of a full 4-year course of study in an accredited college or university leading to a bachelor's or higher degree in physical or natural science, or engineering that included at least 30 semester hours or the equivalent in any combination of courses in hydrology, the physical sciences, geophysics, chemistry, engineering science, soils, mathematics, aquatic biology, atmospheric science, meteorology, geology, oceanography, or the management or conservation of water resources. The course work must have included at least 6 semester hours or the equivalent in calculus (including both differential and integral calculus), and at least 6 semester hours or the equivalent in physics.
B. A combination of education and experience-course work as shown in "A" above (30 semester hours or the equivalent in any combination of courses as specified in "A" above which must include at least 6 semester hours or the equivalent in calculus (including both differential and integral calculus), and at least 6 semester hours or the equivalent in physics), plus appropriate experience and/or additional education for a total of 4 years. The education or combined education and experience must be comparable in type, scope and thoroughness to that acquired through successful completion of a 4-year course of study as described in "A" above. (CLICK HERE FOR DETAILS ON HOW TO COMBINE EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE)
BASIC EDUCATION REQUIREMENT FOR GEOLOGIST, GS-1350: Applicants must meet A or B below to satisfy the basic education requirement for Geologist, all grade levels.
A. Successful completion of a full 4-year course of study in an accredited college or university leading to a bachelor's or higher degree in geology. In addition to the geology course work included in the degree, it must also have included or been supplemented by 20 additional semester hours in any combination of mathematics, physics, chemistry, biological science, structural, chemical, civil, mining or petroleum engineering, computer science, planetary geology, comparative planetology, geophysics, meteorology, hydrology, oceanography, physical geography, marine geology, and cartography.
B. A combination of education and experience-course work as shown in "A" above (24 semester hours or the equivalent in geology plus 20 additional semester hours or the equivalent in any combination of courses as specified in "A" above), plus appropriate experience and/or additional education for a total of 4 years. The education or combined education and experience must be comparable in type, scope and thoroughness to that acquired through successful completion of a 4-year course of study as described in "A" above. (CLICK HERE FOR DETAILS ON HOW TO COMBINE EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE)
For GS-15 :
In addition to the basic education requirement as stated above, applicants must have one year of appropriate professional experience that is equivalent to at least the GS-14 level in the Federal service.
Examples of GS-14 level work may include: Investigations that involved highly unstructured problems involving both difficult technology and complex human relations or programmatic issues. The results of these investigations had significant effects over a wide region of the United States or may have included responsibility for new technology especially critical to the organization's programs. This work involved other recognized senior technical experts asking the scientist for advice or counsel due to his/her personal reputation in the field.
You must meet all qualification and eligibility requirements for the position by the closing date of the announcement.
- Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g. Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; student; social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
- Education completed in colleges or universities outside the United States may be used to meet the above requirements. You must provide acceptable documentation that the foreign education is comparable to that received in an accredited educational institution in the United States. For more information on how foreign education is evaluated, visit: https://www.usgs.gov/about/organization/science-support/human-capital/how-foreign-education-evaluated-federal-jobs .
Other Information :
- Applicants who include vulgar, offensive, or inappropriate language or information in their application package will be ineligible for further consideration for this position.
- The application contains information subject to the Privacy Act (P.L. 93-579, 5 USC 552a). The information is used to determine qualifications for employment, and is authorized under Title 5, USC, Section 3302 and 3361.
- THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER.
- USGS has determined that the duties of this position are suitable for telework and the selectee may be allowed to telework in accordance with the DOI Telework policy and with supervisor approval. The official worksite for the selectee is the duty station identified in this vacancy announcement. The selectee will typically report to this duty location on a regular and recurring weekly basis.
- For additional information on our internal telework policy, please reference the Department of the Interior Telework Handbook at: https://www.doi.gov/telework/policies .
- Working for the U.S. Geological Survey offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes paid vacation, sick leave , and holidays ; health, life, dental, vision, and long term care insurance, flexible spending accounts , and participation in the Federal Employees Retirement System .
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
--Vacancy Related Questions: As part of the online application process, you will need to respond to a series of questions designed to assess your possession of the following knowledge skills, abilities and/or competencies:
- Scientific Knowledge
- Leadership & Supervision
- Interpersonal Communication
- Program/Project Management
Due weight will be given to performance appraisals and awards during the interview/selection process conducted by the hiring manager. If referred, all relevant documents including performance appraisals and awards submitted with your application package will be forwarded to the hiring official for review.
--NOTE: If it is determined that you have rated yourself higher than is supported in your description of experience and/or education as described in your resume/application, or that your resume or application is incomplete, you may be rated ineligible, not qualified, or your score may be lowered.
To preview the announcement questionnaire, click here: https://apply.usastaffing.gov/ViewQuestionnaire/11087481
Background checks and security clearance
Drug test required
Position sensitivity and risk
Moderate Risk (MR)
Trust determination process
- Job ID: 56617042
Reston, Virginia, United States
- Position Title: Interdisciplinary Supv Biologist, Hydrologist, Geologist (Deputy Regional Director-Northeast Region)
- Company Name: USA Jobs
- Job Function: Energy Weather Analyst
- Job Type: Full-Time
Director of Project Development: ESPC - Remote US