Chief of Staff
- Washington, D.C., District of Columbia, United States
- Closing on 20 June 2021
The Charter Cities Institute is a nonprofit building the ecosystem for charter cities. We are hiring a Chief of Staff to work with the Executive Director to set annual goals, develop and execute strategic plans, ensure effective delivery of programs, set budgets, and other finances, streamline recruiting, and evaluate organizational performance. The Charter Cities Institute is a small team, so the Chief of Staff will need to be comfortable working on high-level strategy as well as getting their hands dirty day-to-day. The ideal candidate has experience in a small international development organization, working both with high-level research and on the ground application. This is a unique opportunity to get inside a fast-growing, impactful non-profit.
See here for more information on how we view the Chief of Staff role.
Responsibilities of Chief of Staff
- Planning: Develop annual and quarterly plans, ensure those plans are effectively executed, and that each team has adequate resources to succeed.
- Coordination: Be responsible for ensuring effective coordination between the Research, Communications, Partnerships, and Development Departments. Ensure that responsibilities are clearly delineated, timely delivery of outputs, and remove relevant blockers to effective execution.
- New Initiatives: Work closely with the Executive Director to develop new initiatives, strategize about how to streamline processes, and make sure OKRs are being met.
- Budget and finance: Works with the executive team to create annual and quarterly budgets, and ensure budgets are being followed. Makes timely payment to contractors and other service providers, and ensures that donations/ revenue forms are appropriately accounted for.
- Performance reviews and employee retention: Improve our employee reviews and develop the compensation package to ensure it's competitive.
- Events: Ensure that preparations for events are progressing in a timely manner and that different departments are meeting relevant milestones for attendees, speakers, promotion, etc.
- Tools: Ensure CCI has the best work tools (Notion, Zoom, Hubspot, etc) available for our purpose and is using them as necessary to improve our productivity.
- Masters degree in Business Administration or related field preferred
- 5+ years experience working with senior leadership or executive team
- 3+ years experience in project management
- Develops and nurtures relationships with staff across functions, geographies and teams
- Proven ability to have direct difficult conversations with leaders and staff at all levels of the organization
Qualities: The ideal candidate will
- Be entrepreneurial. They will see processes and other areas that can be improved and take initiative to make those improvements. This is the most important quality. Demonstrate the ability to consistently generate iterative improvements and we will hire you.
- Have strong organizational skills. They will create a structured environment to ensure the CCI team has everything they need to succeed.
- Communicate effectively, particularly through writing. CCI has a strong writing culture and as we grow it is imperative to ensure effective communication internally and with external stakeholders.
- Have a high level of attention to detail. They ensure that we aren't missing anything on our programs and research projects.
- Be intellectually curious and have a passion for charter cities.
The Charter Cities Institute greatly values our office culture. Our staff is intellectually curious and enjoys exploring a wide variety of topics, not all of which are directly related to charter cities. We're a small team, so we frequently go out to lunch as a group, and get drinks together a handful of times per month (this is not required). Candidates should feel comfortable bringing their whole selves to work.
The role is for a full-time position. The Charter Cities Institute offers health, dental insurance, and 401k. Please send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com
About the Organization
The Charter Cities Institute is a nonprofit dedicated to building the ecosystem for charter cities. It was founded on the idea that a fresh approach was necessary to tackle humanity's most pressing challenges: global poverty, rapid urbanization, and conflict and migration caused by poverty, war, and climate change. Charter cities-new cities granted a special jurisdiction to create a new governance system, are that solution.
The process to create each new charter city is complex. It requires the collaboration of numerous stakeholders, including new city developers, governments, investors, multi-lateral institutions, and international development experts. By coordinating the efforts of the various stakeholders, it's possible to accelerate the development of charter cities and lift tens of millions of people out of poverty.
Washington, D.C., District of Columbia, United States | District of Columbia, United States | United States | ...
New York, United States | United States | North America
Devex is the media platform for the global development community.
A social enterprise, we connect and inform 1,104,000+ development, health, humanitarian, and sustainability professionals through news, business intelligence, and funding & career opportunities so you can do more good for more people. We invite you to join us.