EU “Our Tonle Sap’’ Project Lead
Reports to: WCS Cambodia Country Program Director
Location: Phnom Penh, Cambodia
Country Program/Sector: Cambodia, Global Conservation Program
Position Type: Full-Time
Internal liaison: WCS Senior Technical Advisor
Expected travel: Regular travel to project sites and field offices in Kampong Thom, Siem Reap, Pursat and Battambang
The Wildlife Conservation Society (WCS) is a US non-profit, tax-exempt, private organization established in 1895 and based in New York, that saves wildlife and wild places by understanding critical issues, crafting science-based solutions, and taking conservation actions that benefit nature and humanity. With more than a century of experience, long-term commitments in dozens of landscapes, presence in more than 60 nations, and experience helping to establish over 150 protected areas across the globe, WCS has amassed the biological knowledge, cultural understanding and partnerships to ensure that vibrant, wild places and wildlife thrive alongside local communities. The WCS Country Program in Cambodia, is a relatively large, vibrant program with long-term programs in four major forested and/or wetland landscapes: Eastern Plains, Northern Plains, Major Rivers, and Tonle Sap.
WCS Cambodia seeks a full-time Project Lead to oversee the implementation of a new, large, four-year European Union (EU) funded project entitled “Our Tonle Sap”.
The “Our Tonle Sap” Project adopts an integrated landscape approach to strengthen resilience to environmental change in ecosystems, communities and biodiversity throughout the Tonle Sap Biodiversity Reserve. The Project has six co-applicant partners. The Project works simultaneously across multiple scales with government, communities and the private sector. It will enhance management and restoration of critical habitats to facilitate resilience to environmental change by improving government and community management of protected areas, developing and implementing community-level fire management plans, piloting community-managed vegetation rehabilitation and silviculture, and developing ecologically resilient livelihoods that protect floodplain habitat. The Project will also address the drivers of environmental change by supporting national and sub-national government to develop policy that incorporates adaptation and sustainability considerations, and working with development agencies, banks and the private sector to improve environmental and social practices.
The Project Lead will be responsible for the overall management of this project and work closely with the Project Manager and Assistant Manager to ensure adherence to all project objectives, performance requirements, and donor regulations. The Project Lead will work with the Senior Technical Advisor and Tonle Sap Landscape Technical Advisor to ensure that the “Our Tonle Sap” Project is integrated into WCS’s ongoing conservation program in the Tonle Sap Landscape. The Project Lead will be the primary point of contact for the Project for the EU delegation in Cambodia.
- Provide overall managerial oversight and coordination for all aspects of the project (including developing and maintaining project work plans, guidance on implementation and coordination of activities across sub-grantees);
- Regularly communicate with Project Manager and Assistant Manager on all aspects of project implementation;
- Provide overall leadership on monitoring and evaluation to identify emerging issues, understand implementation challenges and achievements;
- Prepare narrative reports for timely submission to the donor and collate and maintain records of information from field teams on project achievements and challenges;
- Oversee the implementation of the visibility plan for the project and ensure that sub-grantees deliver and comply with the visibility plan;
- Work with the WCS Cambodia Program’s Country Director, Senior Technical Advisor and Tonle Sap Landscape Technical Advisor, and regional staff, to integrate the project into WCS’s ongoing program of work;
- Take overall leadership on operations, finance and administration of the project to ensure full compliance with all EU fiduciary regulations;
- Ensure efficient management of financial resources, including the review and approval of program budgets and monitoring of expenditures;
- Oversee the design and implementation of the project’s knowledge management plan, and support internal and external communication as needed;
- Serve as the principal liaison with the EU Delegation in Phnom Penh;
- Provide direct line management of other senior project staff;
- Serve as liaison with relevant WCS departments in the context of the project (Programme Development and Compliance; OGC; Asia program, Global Finance).
- A minimum of 5 years’ experience with project management associated with natural resource management issues, preferably in wetland environments.
- Postgraduate degree or equivalent experience in a related field.
- Experience managing large grants, including overseeing complex consortium or partnership relationships, and set and meet multiple deadlines.
- Proven ability and experience to manage EU grants an advantage.
- Proven knowledge of EU contracting procedures, including financial and narrative reporting requirements an advantage.
- Knowledge of logical framework planning and monitoring methodologies.
- Proven ability to manage, guide and support local staff of different capacities.
- Ability to make sound decisions based on analysis, consultation with others, experience, and judgment. Decisions may affect organization’s public image, positively or negatively, as well as impacting the work of many throughout the organization.
- Good communication and presentation skills; ability to persuasively convey the mission of WCS to diverse groups, especially local stakeholders and constituents who are critical to the organisation’s overall prosperity.
- Vision to work towards the project’s big picture goals, to see beyond the confines of donor requirements, and an ability to integrate the Project into WCS’s ongoing program of work in the landscape, Cambodia program, and regionally.
- Must demonstrate strong verbal and written skills in English to international standards.
WCS Cambodia provides competitive salary and benefits packages based on educational background and work experiences. Interested candidates who meet the above qualifications should apply by emailing an application letter and CV (by combining into single PDF file) together with salary requirements and the names and contact information of three references to email@example.com.
Only short-listed candidates will be notified.
WCS is dedicated to hiring and supporting a diverse workforce. We are committed to cultivating an inclusive work environment and look for future team members who share that same value. The organization provides equal employment opportunities for all qualified candidates. The organization does not discriminate for employment based on age, color, disability, gender identify, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by laws and regulations.
About WCS Cambodia contact address:
House No. 21 Street 21, Sangkat Tonle Bassac, Khan Chamkarmon, Phnom Penh
Phone: 023 217 205
Apply for EU “Our Tonle Sap’’ Project Lead
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly