Associate/Full Professor, Marine Conservation Biology, Eminent Scholar
As an Associate or Full Professor and Eminent Scholar of Marine Conservation Biology the successful candidate will have expertise in a discipline such as marine biology, ecology, ichthyology, oceanography, biological oceanography, or other related field. The candidate is expected to address pressing management issues along the Southwest Florida coast ranging from degradation and loss of essential nearshore habitats, such as oyster reefs, seagrass meadows, and mangrove islands and fringe, to loss of live bottom communities and fishery habitats farther offshore. Areas of specific research might include connecting socioeconomics to restoration decisions, integrating the use of comprehensive ecosystem plans in fisheries conservation and management, or evaluating changes in marine ecosystem services as a result of climate change. Applicants will be expected to collaborate with faculty members within The Water School and work with coastal resource managers and decision-makers, community stakeholders, and restoration practitioners to advance recommendations for marine resource conservation or restoration.
This position represents a research- and outreach-intensive role. The candidate will be expected to develop a successful research program that disseminates research findings to the region and the academic community, as appropriate, and to acquire external support. The successful candidate will be expected to teach existing or develop new courses at the graduate and undergraduate levels. As a senior member of the faculty, the successful candidate will be expected to serve as a mentor to more junior faculty and to participate on College and University committees.
As an Associate or Full Professor of Marine Conservation Biology in the Department of Marine and Earth Sciences you will teach at both undergraduate and graduate levels, as applicable; be involved in course and/or curriculum development; conduct research/scholarship; participate on College and University committees and/or initiatives; and perform other duties as assigned.
Florida Gulf Coast University is a comprehensive university dedicated to quality education, research, and service. All faculty are expected to: be excellent teachers, responsive to changing professional needs; be committed to innovative delivery of instruction resulting in improved student learning; be committed to effective use of technology including distance learning; produce peer reviewed scholarship; and provide service to the College, University and Community. Teaching assignments may be on the main campus or at off-campus sites within our region.
There is also opportunity for faculty to work with the university’s new Center for Critical Race and Ethnic Studies. A fundamental value of FGCU is an unambiguous commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion. Recognizing that diverse viewpoints strengthen teams and enrich learning, we seek candidates whose experience and personal philosophy will enhance the diversity of faculty in FGCU’s Environmental programs. Non-traditional career pathways that broaden the variety of perspectives within our team are highly welcomed.
Typical duties may include but are not limited to:
- Developing and teaching assigned courses.
- Preparing course syllabi and instructional materials, coordinating lectures, exams, and evaluating student performance.
- Maintaining highest possible standards of classroom instruction.
- Keeping abreast of new information and developments in field of instruction.
- Actively serving on university committees.
- Actively participating in university meetings.
- Maintaining professional skills through regular professional development and other activities appropriate to higher education faculty.
- Assisting with the development of curriculum.
- Performing other duties as assigned by the supervisor
Additional Job Description
- Ph.D. in Marine Biology, Marine Science, Conservation Biology or related area from a regionally accredited institution or equivalent accreditation.
- Must meet the University and College criteria for the appointment to the level of Associate or Full Professor.
- Interdisciplinary teaching and research perspective with well-defined research goals. Willingness to engage in service opportunities commensurate with career maturity.
- Application materials may include a statement identifying your past contributions to diversity, equity and inclusion. Illustrate how your scholarship, teaching, service, or other work history will support FGCU’s commitment to EDI in higher education, including potential to work with a culturally diverse faculty, student body and broader community.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Experience with and commitment to the use of instructional technology, a willingness to cultivate an interdisciplinary perspective, and a demonstrated commitment to professional development.
- Interest in collaborating both within and outside the University in the development and delivery of instruction resulting in improved student learning. Must value continued scholarship and service to the school and university.
- Ability to contribute effectively and collegially to a positive, dynamic, and inclusive learning environment for a diverse student population
Special Instructions to Applicants
Appointment will be made on a 9-month multi-year appointment basis available August 2021.
Because applications and materials are subject to public review and retention under Florida’s Public Records Law, please DO NOT send examples of your project/ scholarship unless requested to do so. Therefore all submitted materials including articles, disks, slides, books, etc., become the property of FGCU and CANNOT BE RETURNED. As applicable, finalists will be notified of the need to submit specific additional materials. Such materials will become the property of FGCU.
Under Florida’s Public Records law, applications will be available for public review upon request.
Required Application Materials:
- Unofficial Transcripts
- Statement of Teaching Philosophy
- Curriculum Vitae
- Five (5) Professional References
The position is listed as “open until filled”, however applications received by Monday March 15, 2021 will receive priority consideration.
FGCU is an EOE AA M/F/Vet/Disability Employer