Adapative Management and Evaluation Officer - Science, Gordon and Betty Moore Foundation
Adaptive Management and Evaluation Officer for Science
The Adaptive Management and Evaluation team supports the mission of the foundation by providing technical support and guidance related to adaptive management, including program design, ongoing monitoring, evaluation, and learning in all four program areas. The department also facilitates key elements of effective evidence-based and evaluation activities including the design and development of information systems for enhanced decision-making. It also manages and coordinates foundational-wide activities related to the integration of the business processes essential to reach the foundation’s goals.
The Adaptive Management and Evaluation Officer for Science position is primarily responsible for providing technical support in adaptive management and evaluation to the Science program. This position will also backstop embedded officers in the other three program areas. In addition, this position is responsible for foundation-wide work coordinated through the Adaptive Management and Evaluation department. The position offers a well-rounded top performer with competencies in project design, planning, execution, monitoring, and evaluation the opportunity to work as a team member of the Adaptive Management and Evaluation team in support of program and infrastructure departments of the Moore Foundation. The Adaptive Management and Evaluation Officer for Science will work closely with Science program colleagues on a daily basis and will interact with other colleagues from across and outside the foundation - including other program and infrastructure staff, consultants, senior leadership, external partners, and grantees - as required. As such, this position requires a high level of technical and interpersonal relationship management skill.
The Adaptive Management and Evaluation Officer for Science will directly report to the Chief Adaptive Management and Evaluation Officer but will also work closely with the Chief Program Officer for Science. The position is based at Foundation headquarters in Palo Alto, California; however due to the COVID-19 pandemic, work will initially occur remotely.
- Support and facilitate components of program design, including the development of theories of change, articulation of outcomes and indicators, and development of monitoring systems.
- Provide technical assistance to program teams in their ongoing data collection and analysis as they track progress towards outcomes.
- Lead the design and management of external, third-party evaluations.
- Support program teams in conducting internal strategy reviews.
- Conduct research on best practices in the basic science evaluation to inform the Science program’s measurement and evaluation activities.
- Assist in the development and facilitation of foundation-wide activities related to adaptive management.
- Support other Adaptive Management and Evaluation staff with adaptive management work in other programs and across the foundation.
- Identify and lead ad-hoc learning opportunities that can enhance the Science program’s adaptive management processes.
The candidate will have:
- An advanced degree in science or a related field.
- At least 5 years of work experience, preferably in a project management or evaluation-related role.
- Experience in and knowledge of project cycle management, adaptive management, impact measurement, and evaluation.
- Experience and comfort with working with, and on, teams of scientists.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Experience in and knowledge of philanthropy, preferably with familiarity of the fields in which the foundation’s Science program operates.
The ideal candidate will have demonstrated ability to:
- Have a diplomatic demeanor, strong interpersonal skills, and excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Maintain a flexible and positive approach to problem solving in a collaborative team environment and be comfortable with ambiguity.
- Build trusted relationships, motivate, influence and delegate when appropriate
- Think critically, identify, define, and frame problems in various contexts.
- Provide practical and innovative solutions in the face of real-time issues.
- Self-manage priorities and goals for projects, and coordinate deadlines and deliverables. Have exceptional project management skills.
- Be fluent and comfortable in the language and concepts scientists use in their work and communications.
- Work effectively across the Science program’s varying teams and maintain up-to-date knowledge of each team’s activities.
- Communicate effectively in varied media, settings, and audiences—written, verbal, one-on-one, group presentations, with senior leadership, and with the board of trustees.
- Willingness to support and promote the foundation and your colleagues through commitment to enhancing the foundation’s considerations of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion.
The ideal candidate will also demonstrate the following foundation attributes, which describe how we strive to do our work with each other and our partners:
- Committed to Excellence
- Open and Honest
- Humble and Self-Aware
In addition to the above attributes, Adaptive Management and Evaluation team members strive to hold themselves accountable, at the highest level of professional conduct, in the following areas:
- Emotional Intelligence
- Productivity and Quality
- Time Management
- Customer Service
Compensation includes a competitive base salary and an excellent package of health, retirement savings and other benefits.
Martha Montag Brown & Associates, LLC has been retained for this search. Interested and qualified candidates can apply by sending a cover letter, resume and compensation requirements by email to: Martha@marthamontagbrown.com.
Applicants must be legally authorized to work in the United States. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the ordinance.
The Gordon and Betty Moore Foundation is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes a diverse pool of candidates for this search. We are committed to fostering a culture of inclusion and welcome individuals with diverse backgrounds and experiences to apply.
All correspondence will remain confidential.
Apply for Adapative Management and Evaluation Officer - Science, Gordon and Betty Moore Foundation
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly