Prescribed Fire Specialist
As a Prescribed Fire Specialist, you will support a one-of-a-kind roadside prescribed fire program at the Minnesota Department of Transportation. This opportunity will allow you to be instrumental in developing and ensuring the long-term success of this program. You will directly mentor district crews on the use of prescribed fire and will collaborate with fire personnel across the state, including staff from other agencies, non-profits, and private industry groups. This position demands strong problem solving skills and the ability to work independently on projects and assignments, as you will be given much autonomy and be expected to make decisions on a daily basis.
Duties include but are not limited to:
- Implement prescribed fires and monitor each burn to ensure proper weather, fuel, and follow-up;
- Assist districts with site prioritization, fire treatment objectives, plan development and outreach;
- Inventory roadside vegetation and monitor fire effects;
- Mentor agency fire personnel to promote safety and skill development;
In-state travel for field work up to 50% of the time with possible overnight stays.
This position is based out of the Central Office in St. Paul with possible remote work locations in Bemidji, Baxter, St. Cloud, Owatonna, or Rochester.
** This is a 1 year temporary unclassified position with the possibility of an extension. **
WHY WORK FOR US
We offer excellent employee benefits, such as low-cost health and dental insurance, and affordable dependent coverage. Other benefits include:
- 11 paid holidays per year
- Earn up to 29 paid vacation days a year
- Earn 13 days paid sick time
- Training opportunities
- And more!
- 2 years of professional experience in any combination of prescribed and/or wildland fire experience, natural resources, forestry, or related experience.
- Class D Driver’s License.
Note: Bachelor's or Master's degree in a field related to natural resources such as ecology, wildlife, biology, botany, forestry, or closely related field may substitute for one year of professional experience.
Resume must also demonstrate:
- Detailed knowledge of prescribed fire equipment such as hand tools, pumps, small engines, ATVs, and wildland fire engines;
- Basic understanding of fire effects and plant community response to fire;
- Experience training and mentoring fire personnel; Ability to identify native and invasive plant species common to prairies and deciduous woodlands in Minnesota;
- Certified as either a Minnesota Ignition Specialist Type 2 (MRXI2) or as both NWCG Incident Commander Type 4 (ICT4) and NWCG Firing Boss (FIRB);
- The following coursework must also be completed: (Please indicate this somewhere in your resume)
- S-130 Firefighter Training
- S-190 Introduction to Fire Behavior
- L-180 Human Factors on the Fireline
- IS-700a Overview of the National Incident Management System (Homeland Security requirement)
- I-100 (or IS-100a) Introduction to Incident Command System (Homeland Security requirement)
- I-200 (or IS-200a) Basic Incident Command System (Homeland Security requirement)
- S-234 Ignition Operations or S-219 Firing Operations
- S-290 Intermediate Fire Behavior
- S-390 Fire Behavior Calculations
- RX-341 Prescribed Fire Plan Preparation
- RX-301 Prescribed Fire Implementation
- RT-130 Annual Fire Safety Refresher
APPLY ONLINE BY 9/9/19:
- Go to www.mn.gov/careers
- Click “External Applicants”.
- On the Job Search, enter the Job Opening ID 34877 in the Keywords search box and click Search.
- Click on the Job Title to view the job posting.
- Click Apply.
- When prompted for your Referral Source, please list: Other – Conbio.
Only applicants received on mn.gov/careers will be considered.
Apply for Prescribed Fire Specialist
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly