Seal Rescue Ireland - Marketing and Media Internship
Seal Rescue Ireland: Marketing and Media Internship
Seal Rescue Ireland (SRI) is a charity organisation which operates a busy marine animal rescue and rehabilitation centre located in Courtown, Co. Wexford. As the only facility that fully rehabilitates seals within the Republic of Ireland, SRI responds to strandings nationwide. Most reports are for young grey seal (Halichoerus grypus) and common seal (Phoca vitulina) pups found sick, injured or orphaned across the Irish coastline. In addition, SRI pursues understanding and public engagement of ocean conservation and sustainability through education, community outreach and research programmes. SRI has a growing social media presence, and is gaining international recognition for our work.
SRI is currently accepting applications for their Marketing and Media Internship position for 2020. This high paced, full-time position is for a minimum of 12 weeks, but longer time commitments are encouraged. After completion of initial training, interns who excel may be invited to stay longer and offered higher levels of responsibility,
Reports to: Operations Manager
Job Summary: This position will provide the intern with work experience in all aspects of a rescue and rehabilitation centre with a primary focus on producing quality media content, digital design, written content, photos and video for use on our website, social media, monthly newsletter, adoptions programme, marketing, educational and fundraising projects. The intern will assist with marketing and advertising projects, fundraising programs and events, and other administrative tasks. This position requires a skilled photographer who will be responsible for capturing consistent photographs and videos of the animals in care to tell their stories, daily activities at the centre, and events on and off-site (i.e. rescues, releases, educational talks, outreach events, etc.), as well as developing content consistent with SRI’s message of ocean conservation and sustainability. Partial involvement in assisting in husbandry care of rehabilitation animals is an option if interested.
Requirements: Applicants must have a keen interest in marine conservation, biology and environmental stewardship. Skills in developing media content and photography are a must, with examples of your work to be submitted with your application. Applicants must have effective communication skills, the ability to represent SRI in professional manner and work well in a team setting. Applicants must possess the ability to adapt to an ever-changing work environment, and be available to work nights, weekends and holidays. Public speaking, graphic design and website maintenance skills are encouraged. A degree or pursuit of a degree in business management, event planning, marketing, public relations, fundraising, or a similar field is preferred.
- Participate in educational talks and tours
- Assist in design, development and maintenance of the SRI website
- Keep up to date photographs and video of the seals in care
- Photograph events and daily tasks for use in media, marketing and promotional purposes
- Develop educational and promotional written content
- Provide assistance to the managers and rehabilitation staff as needed
- Assist with fundraisers and educational events
- Assist with clerical duties and office work as needed
- (Optional)-Assist in the care and maintenance of the Center’s rehabilitation animals (feeding, medical treatment, daily care, routine cleaning of enclosures and work areas).
- (Optional)-Assist with rescue and release of stranded animals.
This is an unpaid position. Intern housing is available for 90 Euro/week (including food) on a first come first served basis. Interns are responsible for their own travel expenses.
- 1st of September, 2019 for January to March, 2020 start dates
- 1st of December, 2019 for April to June, 2020 start dates
- 1st of March, 2020 for July to September, 2020 start dates
- 1st of June, 2020 for October to December, 2020 start dates
Please visit our website at (http://www.sealrescueireland.org/internships/) to download the application form. Then send completed with your resume, cover letter, and examples of your writing and photography to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Attention: Marketing and Media Internship
Registered Charity: RCN 20108519
Learn more about us and our other volunteer/internship opportunities!