Seal Rescue Ireland - Animal Care and Education Internship
Seal Rescue Ireland: Animal Care and Education Internship
Seal Rescue Ireland (SRI) is a charity organisation which operates a busy marine animal rescue and rehabilitation centre located in Courtown, Co. Wexford. As the only facility that fully rehabilitates seals within the Republic of Ireland, SRI responds to strandings nationwide. Most reports are for young grey seal (Halichoerus grypus) and common seal (Phoca vitulina) pups found sick, injured or orphaned across the Irish coastline. In addition, SRI pursues understanding and public engagement of ocean conservation and sustainability through education, community outreach and research programmes.
SRI is currently accepting applications for their dual focus Animal Care and Education Internship programme for next year. With rolling start dates year around, this high paced, full-time position is for a minimum of 12 weeks, but longer time commitments are encouraged. After completion of initial training, interns who excel may be invited to stay longer and offered higher levels of responsibility with the potential for compensation through living expenses.
Reports to: Animal Care Manager
Job Summary: This position provides the intern with a well rounded experience of both hands-on marine mammal rescue and rehabilitation work, and promoting public understanding of marine conservation as a whole. The candidate’s time will be split in half between assisting in the daily care of the animals and hospital operations, and providing educational tours to the public, assisting with fundraising projects, and assisting with administrative duties. The variation of responsibilities provide interns with excellent understanding of what it takes to successfully operate the many different aspects of a wildlife charity. Additionally, each intern gets the opportunity to independently plan one fundraiser project, to learn leadership and organisational skills. Interns that excel may be offered additional levels of responsibility to pursue specialized skill sets.
Requirements: For consideration, applicants must have a background in areas of study such as Pre-Vet, Biology, Zoology, Marine Biology, Conservation Biology, Environmental Science or other animal related field. Applicants must be able to follow written and oral instructions, possess effective communication skills, and be passionate about marine animals and their environment. Applicants should be agile with a good sense of balance in order to maneuver around enclosures, and must be physically fit and able to lift 25 kg. Applicants must possess the ability to adapt in a fast paced, ever changing environment and have a positive, purposeful attitude. They must be willing to work long hours, nights, weekends and holidays. Previous animal care and handling experience as well as public speaking skills are preferred, however interns will receive training to develop these skills.
- Daily animal diet preparations and routine cleaning of enclosures and work areas.
- Assist with rescue and release of stranded animals.
- Take shifts overseeing the stranding hotline and coordinate seal rescue and transport.
- Assist in the care of seals (feeding, restraining, medical treatment, daily care).
- Help ensure that the clinical areas are stocked, hygienic and prepared to receive animals.
- Maintain and update medical records.
- Provide assistance to management and rehabilitation staff as needed.
- Assist with fundraisers and educational events.
- Assist with clerical duties and office work as needed.
- Participate in educational talks and tours.
- Complete and arrange personal fundraiser project in aid of the center.
This is an unpaid position. Intern housing is available for 90 Euro/week (including food) on a first come first served basis. Interns are responsible for their own travel expenses.
- 1st of September, 2019 for January to March, 2020 start dates
- 1st of December, 2019 for April to June, 2020 start dates
- 1st of March, 2020 for July to September, 2020 start dates
- 1st of June, 2020 for October to December, 2020 start dates
Attention: Animal Care and Education Internship
Registered Charity: RCN 20108519