Coastal Environmental Educator
Would you enjoy teaching engaging hands-on lessons in an outdoor setting while living on one of Georgia's beautiful barrier islands? If so, a position as an Environmental Educator at Camp Jekyll is the job for you!
This is as seasonal position (August 26, 2019 to May 22, 2020) as an environmental educator at Camp Jekyll located on Jekyll Island, Georgia. The primary responsibility is to independently lead K-12 students through multidisciplinary daytime and evening classes in an outdoor setting. Class subjects offered include life and earth science, coastal ecology, and marine science. Other responsibilities include animal care, maintenance of teaching resources, facilities and grounds, and general operation of facilities.
Benefits include compensation of $10/hour (variable, but approximately 40 hours per week), a fully furnished private bedroom with a shared kitchen and living room for $20/week, meals in the dining hall for $2.50/meal, limited health insurance, and intensive training in environmental education and barrier island ecology.
Bachelor's degree in Education, Natural Science, Environmental Education, Biology, Outdoor Education, or related fields preferred. A valid driver's license and First Aid/CPR/AED certification (or willingness to obtain) are required.
To successfully perform work, applicants should have the following knowledge, skills, abilities and/or competencies:
- Commitment, genuine interest in child development, dynamic personality, well developed communication skills, creativity, and leadership ability
- Skill in teaching a wide variety of subjects to youth 6-18 years old
- Broad knowledge of outdoor education and able to work in an outdoor setting
- Ability to work with and care for reptiles and aquaria
- Ability to communicate effectively with youth and adults
- Ability to work independently
Must be able to lift approximately 40 pounds and walk up to three miles daily. Must be able to work in adverse physical and weather conditions. Constantly exposed to outdoor elements (physical and biological) present on a Georgia barrier island.
Work Hours and Pay:
Variable, but approximately 40 hours per week. Evening and weekend work is required. Pay is $10/hour.
Housing and Meals:
Fully furnished on-site housing is available for $20/week. Meals are available in the dining hall for $2.50 a meal.
How to apply:
1. Go to www.ugajobsearch.com
2. Click “Search Jobs”
3. Under the “Location of Vacancy” option, scroll to “Camp Jekyll”, click “Search”
4. Our environmental education positions are listed as “State Extension Program Assistant,” so find that position and click “View Details”
5. Click “Apply for this Job” and complete the application.
6. Email Lauren Nys Kuschner (email@example.com ) to confirm receipt of application materials.
Apply for Coastal Environmental Educator
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly