Conservation Program Manager
The Minnesota Land Trust is seeking a skilled, experienced professional to implement its 2017-2027 Conservation Agenda within the Agassiz Beach Ridges, Alexandria Moraine and Minnesota River Conservation Program Areas of western Minnesota. The Program Manager is a high-level position within the organization and is responsible for achieving the Land Trust’s land protection and restoration goals within these assigned program areas. In addition, the Program Manager sets the stage for program success by: 1) crafting conservation plans that prioritize and target the Land Trust’s work, 2) building effective partnerships that enable the Land Trust to maximize its impact and harness the contributions of others, and 3) procuring resources to support the programs.
The Program Manager works closely with other Land Trust staff as a member of the conservation team, landowners and our project partners – local units of government, state and federal agencies and non-governmental conservation organizations. In addition, the Program Manager will represent the Land Trust in various public settings, as well as participate in fundraising and easement stewardship activities.
The Program Manager reports to the Director of Land Protection and does not supervise other staff. (S)he may manage subcontractors and volunteers.
- Manage all aspects of conservation easement projects – assessing the conservation merits of identified properties, negotiating conservation easements with landowners, drafting conservation easements and baseline documentation reports, record-keeping and other tasks essential to a conservation easement transaction.
- Build effective programs and strong partnerships with governmental and non-governmental partners to implement the Land Trust’s 2017-2027 Conservation Agenda.
- Assist in the development and lead the organization in the implementation of conservation plans that target the Land Trust’s protection work in each of the 3 program areas. Help identify opportunities for restoration work within program areas in collaboration with the Land Trust’s restoration program staff.
- Assist in the procurement and administration of the Land Trust’s grants that fund conservation activities in these program areas. Maintain rigorous project- and grant-related records; uphold archival standards for related information.
- Draft correspondence, memoranda, requests for proposals, contracts and other complex documents; assist in the development of appropriate maps and GIS data.
- Participate in communication and outreach activities related to land protection projects.
- Work with the Director of Land Protection, Stewardship Director, Director of Restoration, Staff Attorney and other Land Trust staff to implement other projects or programs as requested.
- Master's degree or law degree and three years of experience in natural resources, land management or other related conservation field; or, bachelor’s degree and comparable field experience.
- Demonstrated experience with land protection real estate transactions.
- Demonstrated experience with and knowledge of Minnesota’s landscapes and natural resources.
- Three years of demonstrated experience managing complex projects and/or conservation real estate transactions.
- Excellent communication skills and ability to work effectively in a team environment with a wide variety of individuals – such as landowners, stakeholders, partners, staff, and board members – in achieving organizational goals.
- Self-motivated, well organized and self-directed, with attention to detail and the follow-through essential for conservation real estate transactions.
- Willingness and ability to travel throughout Minnesota, with occasional overnight stays. Ability to traverse uneven terrain over long distances, in remote settings, and at all times of the year.
- Proficiency with PC computer systems and Microsoft Office.
- Experience with Minnesota’s land and water conservation programs and state/federal grant programs, including the Outdoor Heritage Fund and Environment and Natural Resources Trust Fund.
- Proficiency in the understanding and generation of maps, natural resource information, and other spatial data. Proficiency with GIS programs.
Please email resume and cover letter as a single PDF to Sue Martinez at email@example.com by noon on June 26, 2019.