AmeriCorps Project Conserve Member
AmeriCorps Project Conserve seeks dedicated individuals to fill 33 full-time positions serving critical conservation needs in western North Carolina. Each full-time member will serve 1700 hours during an 11 month term, from September 2019 through July 2020. The program places members in service with one of 19 host site organizations working to protect the unique natural resources of the southern Blue Ridge Mountain region.
Members connect people with nature and enhance quality of life through conservation education, volunteer recruitment/coordination, and trail creation/improvement. Members improve environmental conditions in WNC through activities including habitat restoration, water quality monitoring, and public land and river improvements projects.
Project Conserve positions provide unique opportunities for members to develop leadership and professional skills to support their future career goals. In addition to serving on individual projects outlined by host sites, members participate in trainings and service days up to three days per month with the full Project Conserve team. Trainings may cover a broad range of topics including conflict resolution, wilderness first aid and CPR/AED, project planning, non-native invasive species identification, trail construction, volunteer management, and education program development training.
- Be at least 18 years of age at the commencement of service
- Fulfill minimum education requirements (Please see individual service descriptions)
- Be a citizen, national, or lawful permanent resident alien of the United States
- Be available between September 3, 2019 and July 31, 2020 and commit to full-time or half-time service as indicated in the service description
- Consent to a criminal history check and be cleared for service
- Meet additional qualifications and essential functions listed in the individual service descriptions
Full-time (1700-hour) members earn a living stipend of $14,036 over the 11-month term of service. Upon successful completion of the program, each member will also receive an education award of $6,095. This award can be used to pay off existing school loans or to apply to future education. Other benefits include health insurance reimbursement and childcare assistance (if needed).