Senior Avian Ecologist
Tetra Tech Inc. is a leading provider of consulting, engineering, and technical services worldwide. Our reputation rests on the technical expertise and dedication of our employees—17,000 people working together across disciplines and time zones to provide smart, sustainable solutions for challenging projects. We are proud to be home to leading technical experts in water, environment, infrastructure, resource management, energy, and international development. Tetra Tech combines the resources of a global, multibillion-dollar company with local, client-focused delivery in 400 locations around the world. We offer competitive compensation and benefits and are searching for innovative people to join our teams.
Tetra Tech, Inc. is currently seeking a qualified Senior Avian Ecologist to support renewable energy work out of Portland, ME and or Boston, MA office for support collecting biological field data for our offshore energy, onshore energy, and federal programs. The candidate would primarily work within the commercial energy sector and support offshore avian studies in the Atlantic and Pacific as part of a dynamic team.
The successful candidate will be responsible for supporting a variety of our natural resource’s projects with a heavy emphasis on the marine environments and offshore wind energy. A multidisciplinary science-based background and prior field experience with marine/coastal birds is necessary for this position. Ability to execute and manage field teams, author scientific reports, and work with agencies. Fieldwork may take place in a variety of environmental settings, potentially including working for long durations away from home, or working on a boat offshore, on foot in remote, mountainous, or uneven terrain. Work may be performed in a wide variety of weather and sea conditions.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Perform duties as Senior Avian Ecologist primary supporting offshore wind energy development
- Design and conduct offshore avian studies for marine birds such as shorebird and seabird surveys
- Assist, provide technical expertise, or perform other natural resource surveys (e.g. birds, bats, wildlife, habitats, aquatic and marine resources)
- Present study finding at agency meetings, client meeting, and conferences
- Provide subject matter expert witness testimony
- Perform data entry, data analysis, statistical analysis, and report compilation
- Office based position (80% of the time) and 20% of the time in the field
- Field components may require long hours and/or be physically demanding and may require being on foot or on a boat 10–12 hours per day carrying equipment
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS:
- A MS degree or higher in Wildlife and Fisheries Science, Wildlife Biology, Natural Resources, or related field
- A minimum of 10 – 15 years of relevant experience
- Experience writing technical scientific reports and publications
- Proficiency with data management, organization, and a willingness to learn
- Flexibility and ability to travel and work extended hours during the field season
- Flexibility and adaptability to meet fast-paced demands
- High motivation and an ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Possess strong oral and written communication skills
- Must be multi-task oriented and possess excellent problem solving skills
- A valid Driver’s License and a dependable personal means of transportation are required
- Strong report writing and data analysis skills desired
- Employee is expected to maintain a professional manner in all aspects of their work
If you are interested in joining our dynamic team, for immediate consideration please submit your resume to Tetra Tech, Inc., at www.tetratech.com. Please mention the position you are applying for in your cover letter and include salary requirements. A Pre-employment drug screen is required.
Tetra Tech, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer and we value workplace diversity. We invite resumes from all interested parties including women, minorities, veterans and persons with disabilities.
Tetra Tech is a VEVRAA federal contractor and we request priority referral of veterans for available positions. Please visit our website at www.tetratech.com for more information on our company and to apply for this position.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however only those selected for an interview will be contacted directly.
If you are disabled and need assistance with your job application process, please fax the position you are applying for to: (973) 630-8111.