Wetland Scientist Field Lead
Tetra Tech Inc. is a leading provider of consulting, engineering, and technical services worldwide. Our reputation rests on the technical expertise and dedication of our employees—17,000 people working together across disciplines and time zones to provide smart, sustainable solutions for challenging projects. We are proud to be home to leading technical experts in water, environment, infrastructure, resource management, energy, and international development. Tetra Tech combines the resources of a global, multibillion-dollar company with local, client-focused delivery in 400 locations around the world. We offer competitive compensation and benefits and are searching for innovative people to join our teams.
Tetra Tech, Inc. is currently seeking a qualified Wetland Scientist / Field Lead to support work at its Portland, ME or Boston, MA office for wetland delineations, data management, and permit support for our commercial energy, transmission, and federal programs.
The successful candidate will be responsible for supporting a variety of our natural resource projects, with a primary focus on performing wetland delineations, managing field teams and subcontractors, as well as overseeing data management on our large linear and renewable energy development projects. A multidisciplinary science-based background and prior field experience of a similar nature is desired. Fieldwork may take place in a variety of environmental settings, potentially including working for long durations away from home, or working on foot in remote, mountainous, or uneven terrain. Work may be performed in a wide variety of weather conditions.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Perform duties as Field Team Lead on field teams for wetland delineations
- Perform natural resource surveys (e.g., wetlands, streams, vegetation, and vernal pools)
- Potential to assist or perform other natural resource surveys (e.g., wildlife, habitat, functional assessments, aquatic resources, RTE species, and invasive species)
- Lead wetland delineations in accordance with current USACE 1987 Manual and Regional Supplement(s)
- Map habitat types and sensitive resources
- Collect GPS data
- Perform and oversee data entry, data analysis, and report compilation
- Field components may require long hours and/or be physically demanding and may require being on foot 10–12 hours per day carrying equipment
- Support local, state and federal project permitting
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS:
- A BS degree in Biology, Environmental Studies, Forestry, Natural Resources, or related field
- MS degree preferred
- A minimum of three years of experience in environmental consulting
- Professional Wetland Scientist preferred
- Experience conducting Wetland Function-Value assessment preferred
- Experience with plant identification preferred
- Working knowledge of Maine State Natural Resource Protection Act preferred
- Well-developed leadership qualities
- At least three year’s demonstrated experience performing routine and atypical wetland delineations using the USACE 1987 Manual and Regional Supplement(s) and identifying wetlands with the Cowardin et al. (1979) classification system
- Experience in performing biological studies and assessments in the northeastern U.S.
- GPS field data collection. Experience using Trimble and Terrasync, and Arc Collector App preferred
- Experience leading field teams and overseeing and ensuring work quality of others
- Proficiency with MS Office Suite
- Proficiency with data management and organization
- Experience with local, state and federal permitting, preferred
- A willingness to learn
- Flexibility and ability to travel and work extended hours during the field season
- Flexibility and adaptability to meet fast-paced demands
- High motivation and an ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Possess strong oral and written communication skills
- Must be multi-task oriented and possess excellent problem-solving skills
- A valid Driver’s License and a dependable personal means of transportation are required
- Strong report writing and data analysis skills desired
- Employee is expected to maintain a professional manner in all aspects of their work
If you are interested in joining our dynamic team, for immediate consideration please submit your resume to Tetra Tech, Inc., at www.tetratech.com. Please mention the position you are applying for in your cover letter and include salary requirements. A Pre-employment drug screen is required.
Tetra Tech, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer and we value workplace diversity. We invite resumes from all interested parties including women, minorities, veterans and persons with disabilities.
Tetra Tech is a VEVRAA federal contractor and we request priority referral of veterans for available positions. Please visit our website at www.tetratech.com for more information on our company and to apply for this position.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however only those selected for an interview will be contacted directly.
If you are disabled and need assistance with your job application process, please fax the position you are applying for to: (973) 630-8111.