Macaw Conservation Volunteer (1 to 6 months) –
Runs annually from July to February
The applicant will be a care taker at our Macaw Breeding Center during the non-breeding season. After a training period, the applicant will be given responsibility to care for a group of Macaws. Depending on the successes of the previous breeding season this includes caring for offspring and preparing them for release into the wild.
- Daily food preparation and feeding of captive breeding birds, pre-release birds and supplementary feeding of the released flock
- Regular site maintenance including aviary cleaning, providing perches and enrichment for captive birds and various other husbandry tasks
- Monitoring the health and behaviour of captive birds
- Different general maintenance or development tasks may be assigned depending on our current needs and the skills and abilities of particular volunteers
No previous experience or academic background in Biology needed. However applicants with a background in biology/veterinary or carpentry/construction are preferred.
The volunteer is expected to work 5.5 days a week. Monday to Friday from 5.30am until 5pm with a three-hour break and half a day in the weekend.
Duration of Work:
The minimum duration is one month with a maximum of 6 months. Only available from the beginning of July through the end of February.
Desirable personal Qualities:
- Dependable and responsible
- Motivated and positive with a desire to contribute
- Interested in bird- and nature conservation
- Flexible, friendly, patient and optimistic
- Sense of humor is helpful.
- Great experience both in terms of travel and supporting a non-profit
- Increased understanding and appreciation of different values and lifestyles
- Increased skill in creative problem-solving
- Increased skill in team-communication
All international and nation travel costs to get to the site are your responsibility. Volunteers pay $300 per month for on-site accommodation and all utilities. Volunteers buy and prepare all their own food and we recommend you budget for at least $40 per week.
Apply for Conservation Volunteer
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly