Position Title: Associate Scientist – Full-time, Non-exempt
EcoAdapt is a non-profit organization headquartered on Bainbridge Island, Washington and was founded by a team of some of the earliest climate change adaptation thinkers and practitioners in the field. Our goal: creating a robust future in the face of climate change. We bring together diverse players to reshape planning and management in response to rapid climate change. Our team is distributed throughout the United States and provides support, training, and assistance to help all aspects of society (government agencies, organizations, and individuals) determine how to do what they do effectively even with the challenges of climate change. Please explore what we do at EcoAdapt.org.
EcoAdapt seeks an Associate Scientist for a full-time, non-exempt position in the Seattle, Washington metro area. This specific position will support the State of Adaptation program, a research initiative designed to raise awareness of and build capacity for on-the-ground climate adaptation action. As an Associate Scientist, you will provide research and writing support for multiple projects, create science-based products that support the integration of climate change into decision-making, and regularly engage with adaptation practitioners through interviews, surveys, workshops, and outreach. Applicants should be comfortable working in a fast-paced, independent work environment, demonstrate flexibility, and have a commitment to supporting EcoAdapt’s non-profit mission.
Location: Seattle, Washington metro area
EcoAdapt’s success depends on its vibrant and versatile team members. The right person for this position brings a unique combination of skills including:
- Excellent independent and adaptive self-management skills
- Analytical and creative problem-solving skills
- Maximum attention to detail and to the timeliness of tasks and projects
- Knowledge of climate change adaptation
- Excellent research, writing, and communication skills (in-person, phone, email)
- Comfort with online meeting, webinar, and teleconference interactions
- Proficient computer skills and prior experience or aptitude with applications such as Microsoft Office, Google Sites, Survey Monkey, Dropbox, and social media platforms (e.g., Facebook, Twitter, Blogger)
Successful candidates should meet the following criteria:
- Bachelor’s degree with some relevant work experience in a related field (environmental science, resource management, conservation, policy, etc.)
- Highly motivated self-starter with excellent time management skills and the ability to work independently and effectively manage multiple demands and deadlines
- Strong interpersonal skills including the ability to deal courteously, professionally, and tactfully with exceptional rapport with teammates, partners, and the general public
- Demonstrated ability to write clear, concise content for a variety of audiences
- Demonstrated ability to work independently from home (e.g., access to high-speed internet and phone)
- Ability to accommodate occasional travel
- English fluency
- Training and/or experience with interviews, online surveys, and/or case study research and writing
Compensation is competitive and commensurate with education and experience. Generous benefits package includes health, dental, vision, life insurance, short and long-term disability insurance, 401(k) retirement plan with matching, paid time off, and sick leave.
Please go to http://www.ecoadapt.org/ether/category/__details/Careers and follow the job posting instructions. Interested candidates should send a complete application assembled in one email to Careers@EcoAdapt.org. Please indicate “Associate Scientist” in the subject line of all email correspondence. A complete application includes a cover letter, curriculum vitae/resume, a writing sample (~2–5 pages), employment application form, and a voluntary EEO self-identification form. Completed applications are due by 5 PM PST on January 28th. No phone calls or faxes please.
Your cover letter should include the following:
- Highlights of your qualifications that meet the position's specific needs
- A brief explanation as to why this is an ideal job for you and your preferred workplace culture
- Salary requirement and justification
EcoAdapt is committed to creating a dynamic, multi-cultural, diverse working environment and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, national origin, ancestry, religion, physical or mental disability, age, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, pregnancy, citizenship or any other factor protected by anti-discrimination laws. EcoAdapt is an equal opportunity employer.