Animal Care and Education Internship
Seal Rescue Ireland: Animal Care and Education Internship
Seal Rescue Ireland (SRI) is a very busy marine animal rescue and rehabilitation facility located in Courtown, Co. Wexford. It is the only seal rehabilitation facility in the Republic of Ireland and is responds to strandings nationwide. Most distressed seal calls are for Grey and Common Seal pups which have become injured, orphaned or sick. In addition, SRI promotes public engagement in sustainability and ocean conservation through active education, outreach and research activities. The facility is accepting applicants for positions in their challenging and exciting internship program for start dates year round. This is a full time position for a minimum of 12 weeks, however priority will be given to candidates who can stay longer. Free room and board may be offered if the intern excels and is invited to stay longer.
Reports to: Animal Care Manager
Job Summary: The position provides the intern with hands on rescue and rehabilitation experience with stranded marine mammals. The candidate is responsible for assisting in the daily care and maintenance of rehabilitation animals as well as providing educational tours to the public. Interns will spend half their time in the hospital and the other half of their time assisting with education, fundraising and clerical tasks. The variation of responsibilities allows interns a broad understanding of what it takes to operate a wildlife hospital and charity organization. Each intern will be responsible for independently planning one fundraiser project. Interns that excel may be offered additional levels of responsibility as specialized program coordinators to develop further skill sets. Promoted interns who can commit to longer terms can potentially lead to compensation of room and board.
Requirements: For consideration, applicants must have a background or interest in areas of study such as Pre-Vet, Biology, Zoology, Marine Biology or other animal related field. Applicants must have the ability to understand and follow written and oral instruction, and have effective communication skills. Applicants should be agile with a good sense of balance in order to maneuver around the exhibits and holding areas, and must be physically fit and able to lift 25 kg. Applicants must possess the ability to adapt to a high paced, ever-changing work environment, possess a good work ethic and positive attitude. They must also be available to work long hours, nights, weekends and holidays. Previous animal care and handling experience as well as public speaking skills are preferred, however interns will be trained to develop skills in these areas.
- Daily animal diet preparations and routine cleaning of enclosures and work areas.
- Assist with rescue and release of stranded animals.
- Take shifts overseeing the stranding hotline and coordinating seal rescue and transport.
- Assist in the care and maintenance of the Centre’s rehabilitation animals (feeding, restraining, medical treatment, daily care).
- Help ensure that the clinical areas are stocked, hygienic and prepared to receive animals.
- Maintain and update medical records.
- Provide assistance to management and rehabilitation staff as needed.
- Assist with fundraisers and educational events.
- Assist with clerical duties and office work as needed (you will gain experience in all aspects of how a rehabilitation centre operates)
- Participate in educational talks and tours.
- Performs other duties relating to the Centre’s goals and mission statement as required.
This is an unpaid position. Intern housing is available for 90 Euro/week (including food) on a first come first served basis . Interns are responsible for all travel expenses.
Please visit our website to download the application form. Then send your resume, cover letter and application form to:
Attention: Animal Care and Education Internship firstname.lastname@example.org
Telephone: 053 942 4980
Find us on Facebook www.facebook.com/sealrescueireland
Registered Charity Number: 20108519