International Conference Internship
The Society for Conservation Biology (SCB) is now accepting applications to fill one (1) unpaid International Conference 2019 Intern position. This internship is offered on a part- or full-time basis for a seven-month duration between January and July 2019, with a January 2019 start date. The unique internship provides the unparalleled opportunity to assist with the planning for the July 2019 SCB-hosted International Congress for Conservation Biology (ICCB) including travel to Kuala Lumpur in July to assist with the on-site execution of the Congress. ICCB is one of the most important biennial global conservation meetings and attended by 1,800 conservation and biodiversity professionals.
Working under the guidance of the SCB Director of Conferences and Events and Director of Philanthropy, the intern will gain hands-on exposure to global special event management and how nonprofits succeed by cultivating new funding partnerships. The intern will have an opportunity to gain amazing experience in meeting logistics and management, business development, prospect research, communications and marketing (including social media), and data management (iMIS).
As a SCB International Conference 2019 intern, you will interact with SCB’s Committees, regional Sections, topical Working Groups, local Chapters (collectively referred to as Groups) and international membership, develop communications skills, analyze data, learn administrative and organizational skills, and understand the workings of an international nonprofit organization.
Please send resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line International Conference Internship.
- Assist with all planning and on-site management regarding logistics such as food and beverage, audio/visual, signage, vendors (i.e. exhibitors, photography, transportation), special needs requirements and event security etc.
- Oversee housing; monitors the room block and coordinates housing for staff, speakers, etc.
- Assist with the on-site management of the 2019 Congress in Kuala Lumpur, including preparation of materials, coordination of sessions, speakers, and volunteers, registration desk support, exhibition hall related tasks, breakout room setup checks, Act quickly, diplomatically, and in the best interest of the client to resolve challenges and other related duties as assigned
- Assist with management of event budgets, data and or spreadsheets needed to track information
- Conduct research and analysis on prospective and existing individual, foundation and corporate funding partners
- Draft and/or edit business development materials such as correspondence, reports, proposals and donor appeals
- Assist with iMIS management, SCB’s customer relationship management (CRM) database
- Assist in planning and coordinating for multiple events, including 2019, 2021 and 2023 International Congress for Conservation Biology (ICCB), and SCB Board of Governors meetings.
- Research and provide recommendations in vendor selection for Congresses
- Research and identify possible exhibitors, sponsors, and donors for events and create and update databases to reflect research
- Materials and Content: produce content and maintain Friends of SCB and Congress-related webpages on the SCB website and affiliated websites; produce content, maintain, and monitor ICCB social media accounts; maintain conference apps; create signage; schedule, assemble, pack, and ship materials to event site
- Communicate with members, leaders and Groups on the SCB Conservation Connection ICCB and Friends of SCB platforms
- Participate in special event planning meetings and calls
- Attend department and staff meetings
- Assist with special projects as needed
Applicants must be:
- A current college student or recent graduate (within the past year).
- Willing to dedicate a minimum of 20 hours per week to the unpaid internship in the spring but able to work at least 30 hours per week from late May – July 2019. Hours during the Congress will go over 30 hours.
- Able to secure housing within a commutable distance to the Washington DC office (located at 1133 15th Street, NW, Washington, DC 20005, 2 blocks from the McPhersons Metro Station, and accessible by public bus transportation from most Washington, DC neighborhoods).
- Be able to secure a passport (and visa, if necessary) and travel to Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia for nine days for ICCB 2019 (21-25 July 2019).
- must be responsible, flexible, hard-working, ethical and committed to SCB’s mission
- must possess a high level of organizational skill and be detail-oriented
- must possess strong oral and written communications skills
- must be skilled at a variety of computer skills including Microsoft Office Suite
- must desire to learn more about meeting management and business development
- must be a physically able to set up for meetings, stand for long periods time, and carry and move items (up to 30 lbs.)
- must be a current or recently graduated college or graduate student
- should be experienced with content management database systems, but this is not required
- This is an unpaid intern position.
- Public transit stipend is included.
- Travel to and from Kuala Lumpur for on-site Congress (economy airfare, housing, food, and incidentals) will be provided.
- SCB will work with your University or College to coordinate credit for your internship as possible.
Duration of Internship:
- A seven (7) month period between January and July 2019
How to Apply:
Please submit a resume and cover letter with your application.
Founded in 1985, the Society for Conservation Biology (SCB) is a nonprofit international organization dedicated to the advancement of science and practice to conserve Earth's biological diversity (www.conbio.org). With more than 4,000 members, seven (7) regional Sections, eight (8) topical Working Groups, and numerous local Chapters positioned across the globe, SCB is a well-recognized as an organization that is dedicated to promoting the scientific study of the phenomena that affect the maintenance, loss, and restoration of biological diversity.
The SCB global office, located in Washington, DC, offers a positive work environment conducive to gaining beneficial career and networking experience. SCB will assist the volunteer intern in obtaining college credit for this internship if desired. A monthly public transportation stipend will be provided.