Tropical Nature Reserve Marketing & Development Work Exchange
About the organization
Founded in 2002, Cloudbridge Nature Reserve is a private, non-profit cloud forest reserve in the Talamanca mountains of Costa Rica. Beginning with the purchase of degraded farmland, Cloudbridge has been actively reforesting the area in order to connect the forests of the Chirripó National Park with adjacent nature reserves and forested areas. Beyond reforestation work, Cloudbridge is also committed to environmental education and conducting research on the unique and diverse cloud forest ecosystem.
Cloudbridge Nature Reserve is looking for 1-2 volunteers to assist with Marketing and Development lasting a minimum of 12 weeks. This is an unpaid position. Housing, training and guidance will be provided. You will have the opportunity to work in the field with international researchers in your free time, if you are curious about hiking and exploring the cloud forest.
Volunteers and interns stay in one of our dormitories and share kitchen and living spaces with our other interns and volunteers. Some private rooms with queen beds may be available for couples (subject to current occupancy). Food costs and cooking are the responsibility of the volunteer. A basic vegetarian diet typically costs around $4-6 USD per day.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Edit outgoing development and marketing communications.
- Use Facebook and Google analytics tools to create and test tracking mechanisms for online campaigns.
- Collaborate with other volunteers to develop directly or indirectly creative processes for all campaigns, brand guides, posters, HTML emails, etc.
- Greet visitors at the Welcome Centre (rotation shared between all volunteers and interns).
- Participate in reserve activities and community events.
- Research and identify institutional funding sources.
- Attract, build and develop relationships with new and existing donors, visitors, former researchers and volunteers to secure donations.
- Write effective fundraising applications.
- Interest in a sustainable future is important.
- Good English communication skills; ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing. Ability to communicate in Spanish an asset.
- Digital media art and social media advertising experience helpful, but not required.
- Ability and interest in learning online marketing skills and tools.
- Must be able to commit to 12 weeks.
- Minimum 18 years of age.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently.
- Excellent interpersonal skills; ability to develop and maintain good relationships with others in a communal living environment.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Strong time management skills.
- Demonstrate good judgment and common sense in a wilderness environment.
- Position is located in the montane cloud forest of the Talamanca mountains of Costa Rica, adjacent to Cerro Chirripó National Park.
- Altitudes range between 1550 m (5085 ft) and 2200 m (7220 ft).
- Flexible work hours, 6 hours per day, 5 days a week; some variation depending on current activities.
- Required to perform cleaning duties in volunteers’/interns’ communal spaces.
- Housing is in shared dormitories with communal kitchen, bathroom, and living spaces.
- The area around the reserve buildings is steep. Must be able/willing to walk up and down hills and steep staircases.
This is an opportunity to work and live in nature and experience the culture of beautiful Costa Rica. Living on a nature reserve in the tropics provides an understanding and connection with our environment and you will have the opportunity to meet like-minded people from many parts of the world.
To learn more about Cloudbridge, please visit our website at www.cloudbridge.org and check out the Volunteer/Research section (http://cloudbridge.org/volunteering/) and our blog at (https://cloudbridgereserve.wordpress.com) for more detailed information.
To apply, please fill out our application form at http://cloudbridge.org/volunteering/volunteer-application/ including your CV and two references. Indicate you are applying for the Marketing position in the ‘Additional Comments’ section.