TL2 Conservation Project Leader - DR Congo (f/m)
The TL2 Project is an initiative of the Lukuru Foundation that supports conservation in and around Lomami National Park (PNL) in DR Congo. As the Programme Leaders anticipate their retirement in the next few years, FZS is assuming responsibility for support to PNL in the long-term and gradually taking over all project activities from the Lukuru Foundation/TL2.
To ensure a smooth transition from the Lukuru Foundation to FZS and strong leadership for the existing team in PNL after the transition, FZS is looking for a highly motivated Project Leader to work in and around PNL.
Over a 3-5 year period, you will learn, support and gradually assume the responsibilities of the TL2 Programme Leaders. Ultimately this will involve co-ordination and responsibility for all FZS operations and budgets as well as staff within the PNL and buffer zones. The project supports ICCN management activities and is implemented in close collaboration with ICCN, using funds from German and US Development funds and other private and public donors.
- Manage all aspects of the project in PNL, including staff, budgets, activities and planning. Initially this will be in close collaboration with, and under the guidance of, the current TL2 Programme Leaders.
- Conduct work planning, budgeting, performance appraisals, staff coaching and other tasks associated with project leadership, as per FZS guidance.
- Support ICCN Management of PNL through provision of technical advice, mentoring and training where desired and necessary
- Assume responsibility in a co-management role in partnership with ICCN as and when this becomes relevant. This will involve more direct management and decision-making related to PNL.
- Assess effectiveness of existing PNL strategy and develop/adjust project strategy as relevant, and monitor and evaluate project activities, impact and outcomes through development and implementation of a project M&E plan
- Develop and maintain partnership with PNL and ICCN staff as well as with other key stakeholders
- Represent FZS in all engagements with partners, and strengthen visibility of the project in DRC and internationally
- Strengthen networking, cooperation and learning between PNL and other FZS projects as well as HQ in Frankfurt and Africa Regional Office in Arusha
- Engage in fundraising, donor liaison and project-level PR as required (in consultation with Africa Director and Country Director DRC)
- Develop new projects for FZS, that fit within the global strategy (in consultation with Africa Director and Country Director DRC)
QUALIFICATION AND REQUIREMENTS
- MSc or equivalent experience in a conservation or natural resource management field
- At least 5 years experience in conservation and protected area management in Africa, preferably in DRC or other French-speaking countries
- Prior involvement in DRC conservation issues and institutions
- Experience living and working in very remote areas under basic conditions
- Willingness to commit for at least 5 years
- Experience in large project and grant management, including proposal development, planning, budgeting and reporting
- Experience of implementing bi-laterally funded projects;
- Fluency in English and French (written and oral)
- Knowledge of Lingala or Kiswahili is an advantage
- Competencies in negotiation, leadership and teamwork
- Excellent planning and organizing skills
- Strategic and analytical skills
TERMS AND BENEFITS
An attractive salary package based on our in-country or international employment schemes. An initial two-year contract is standard practice, with the perspective of a long-term position in an internationally recognized conservation organization.
Probation period is 6 months.
Please send your application including a cover letter, your salary expectations and your earliest possible starting date and a chronological CV in PDF format to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Application deadline is 18 November 2018.
Please address to:
Frankfurt Zoological Society
Human Resources Dept.
60316 Frankfurt, Germany
The cover letter should answer the following questions:
1. What led you to apply for this position?
2. What is the most important technical ability you would bring to the role?
3. What is the most important technical ability that you would need to develop to successfully fulfil this role?
4. What is your most important personal characteristic that would help you succeed in this role?
Apply for TL2 Conservation Project Leader - DR Congo (f/m)
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly