Eastern Plains Tiger Reintroduction Leader, WWF-Greater Mekong
4 days left
- Salary Type
We are seeking a dynamic, driven individual to lead one of the most ambitious conservation projects in the world: Reintroduction of tigers in Cambodia. This is an opportunity of a lifetime for the right person wanting to advance the boundaries for conservation and ultimately return this iconic species to the Eastern Plains Landscape.
WWF Greater Mekong – on the ground in Cambodia, Laos, Myanmar, Thailand and Vietnam – is working to conserve the region’s biodiversity and build a secure and sustainable future for people and wildlife. Find out more at www.panda.org/greatermekong
In the Global Tiger Recovery Program 2010-2022, Cambodia set the goal to bring back tigers to their former range, noting that a translocation and reintroduction program may be needed to achieve this goal. The Cambodia Tiger Action Plan identified Srepok Wildlife Sanctuary (SWS) - previously known as the Mondulkiri Protected Forest – as a suitable source site for the reintroduction of tigers. WWF-Cambodia has been supporting conservation activities in this site since 2005, and in 2007, WWF commissioned a study to examine the feasibility of a restoration program that involves reintroduction if tigers are entirely extirpated or reinforcement if a few tigers still inhabit the area. The recent review of the feasibility study confirmed tiger reintroduction program in SWS is possible both ecologically and technically but extensive preparation is needed over the next 3-4 years, including establishing a strong on-the-ground law enforcement system and tiger’s prey recovery that will be fundamental to success. With technical support form WWF, the Cambodian government has prepared a Tiger Reintroduction Plan (TRP) that outlines the details of the program and budget. WWF has strongly committed to support this tiger reintroduction plan in the Eastern Plains landscape, a transboundary landscape between Cambodia and Vietnam of which SWS is a part.
The Eastern Plains Tiger Reintroduction Leader will be responsible for leading the ambitious tiger reintroduction program in Eastern Plains landscape (EPL) - aiming to build and develop actions that will have positive impacts on WWF’s biodiversity conservation goals. He/she would be accountable for ensuring that the activities relating to defined program phases of the plan for tiger reintroduction are delivered in time.
Base location: Phnom Penh, Cambodia
Key requirements for the role include:
- Master’s degree or equivalent experience in wildlife conservation, protected area, wildlife science, natural resources management, environmental studies or in relevant fields.
- Proven experience in leading complex, cross-boundary programs and project development and management.
- At least 7-10 years of practical experience in managing complex programs related to transboundary wildlife conservation (tiger particular), protected areas management, and impact monitoring systems. A substantial part of this experience should have been in an organisation specializing in conservation.
- Proven experience in complex project design, development and fundraising.
- Proven experience of managing programs funded by a diversity of sources including governments and aid agencies, private sector donors with annual budget of at least US$5 millions.
- Proven experience of working and negotiating with Government officials at all levels.
- Demonstrated experience in developing, implementing and evaluating budget plan and action plan.
- Knowledge of the policy, standard operating procedures and guidelines relating to wildlife and tiger recovery.
- Familiar with conservation and natural resource management issues preferably in Cambodia, Vietnam or the Mekong sub-region.
- Understanding of laws and regulations, and policy/institutional context related to conservation and natural resource management preferably in Cambodia, Vietnam or Mekong sub-region.
- Understanding of development partnerships, function, donor strategies, governmental relations in Cambodia, Vietnam or Mekong sub-region
How to apply
Detailed Job Description for the position is attached.
Interested candidates should email a cover letter, curriculum vitae in English and scan/photo of diplomas/certificates to email@example.com with the subject line “Applications for Eastern Plains Tiger Reintroduction Leader” by 09th Oct. 2018.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
“WWF is an equal opportunity employer and committed to having a diverse workforce.”
Apply for Eastern Plains Tiger Reintroduction Leader, WWF-Greater Mekong
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly