Climate Stewards Initiative Academic Coordinator II
POSITION PURPOSE: UC is seeking a self-directed leader in the field of climate change communication and education to launch a new education and service initiative with a diverse range of partner organizations in an effort to advance community and ecosystem resilience as outlined in the Climate Stewards Initiative (CSI) strategic plan (see http://calnat.ucanr.edu/cs/). This is a unique academic position for someone who wants to make a difference and to be part of a creative team who make up the UC California Naturalist Program (CalNat), UC Cooperative Extension, UCANR. Building on the infrastructure and network at CalNat, we envision that CSI will address the demand for training related to learning and communicating locally relevant climate science and help communities become more resilient to climate change.
The candidate should demonstrate experience in science communication, education, and public engagement; coupled with content knowledge, communication and interpersonal skills, and program development and management capabilities. The Academic Coordinator will lead the effort to build partnerships consistent with the initiative’s collective impact framework, collaboratively develop the core curriculum, oversee the pilot testing of the program, ensure proper evaluation, and further develop funding sources to help sustain the effort.
For further information on the Climate Stewards Initiative, please visit http://calnat.ucanr.edu/cs/
This position is headquartered in Berkeley, CA; however, options also include Davis, San Mateo, Irvine, Los Angeles or San Diego.
MAJOR DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Assist with course content development and update regionally relevant science-based information for the Climate Stewards courses, California Naturalist publication on climate change, and advanced training opportunities. Evaluate programs and report accomplishments, results and potential or actual impacts of the Climate Steward Initiative.
- Lead the development and maintenance of the operations and instructor manual. Develop and conduct regular instructor training workshops and deliver the climate stewards course as an in-service training for UCANR staff.
- Coordinate with the California Naturalist team to integrate the Climate Stewards Initiative within the existing structure and systems of the larger California Naturalist Statewide Program. Work with partnering organizations and cultivate statewide partnerships to generate institutional support for the program.
- Independently lead program development efforts related to the Climate Stewards Initiative by participating in annual UC ANR budget planning, developing grant proposals, soliciting gifts and donations, and overseeing the climate steward’s social enterprise business model to generate revenues to help sustain and expand the program.
- Participate in professional organizations and collaborate with federal, state and county governmental agencies, non-government organizations and others by providing independent science-based information and leadership.
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS: A Master’s Degree or higher in an appropriate field including Science Communication/Journalism, Education, Sustainability, Environmental Science, Geography, Atmospheric Science or other interdisciplinary program. Ability to listen, communicate, and extend technical information in an understandable manner. Knowledge of human relations including ability to work with people with a diversity of views and values, to inspire and motivate people and adapt to changing situations to ultimately support a good team-working environment. Ability to maintain literacy in internet communications and with computer software to support research and education programs, including data visualization and communication. Self-directed, responsible, and internally motivated. Encourage broad participation, innovate and foster positive change. Welcome the exploration of new ideas and innovative changes. Adapts to changing conditions, prepared to capitalize on opportunities and work around potential threats.
SALARY: The beginning salary will be in the Academic Coordinator II rank and commensurate with applicable experience and professional qualifications. Refer to salary scale at: http://ucanr.edu/sites/anrstaff/files/285845.pdf
The academic coordinator position is a two-year renewable term appointment. Performance in this position is evaluated annually with merit actions being evaluated every two years. Upon completion of a successful review, you may be reappointed for another definite term. Our intention with this definite term appointment is to reappoint based on positive performance reviews, the continuing need for the position, and funding availability. In the future, this position may be responsible for identifying funding to support salary and benefits.
TO APPY: For a full position vacancy announcement and ANR application, visit our website at http://ucanr.edu/Jobs/Jobs_990. For full consideration, application packets should be submitted in their entirety no later than October 15, 2018 to ANRacademicsearch@ucanr.edu. Refer to position AP#18-09. For questions regarding this position, contact Soo Hsieh at firstname.lastname@example.org.
To be considered, applicants must submit the following five components of the Application Packet to email@example.com:
- Cover Letter
- ANR Academic Application Form— from the ANR website at: http://ucanr.edu/sites/anrstaff/files/278846.pdf Please do not send letters of reference.
- Curriculum Vitae or Resume
- Statement of Contributions to Diversity: Please submit a 1-page Statement of Contributions to Diversity addressing past and/or potential contributions to diversity through personal experience, teaching, research, extension, professional activity, and/or service. This should include how you would ensure that all potential clientele have access and benefit from your program.
- College Level Transcripts: Electronic transcripts or legible scanned copies (PDF) of original transcripts will be accepted. Transcripts must identify course work completed, grades earned, degrees conferred and confer dates. Application and associated materials will not be returned to the applicant.
Apply for Climate Stewards Initiative Academic Coordinator II
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly