Conservation Program Manager - Butterflies
The Walt Disney Company (TWDC) continues its commitment to conservation through a variety of initiatives that have a positive impact on caring for animals, protecting the environment, increasing cast satisfaction and providing our guests with an opportunity to view TWDC as a leader in conservation by protecting wildlife and the environment and engaging families with nature. Walt’s passion for conservation was evident, “You’ve probably heard people talk about conservation. Well, conservation isn’t just the business of a few people. It’s a matter than concerns all of us.” Today, we continue to honor Walt’s legacy with the many dedicated cast members working to keep his vision alive through our efforts to protect wildlife and wild places around the world and inspiring our cast and guests to protect the magic of nature. This sentiment is echoed by Bob Iger, “Every Disney Cast Member feels that it is his or her personal responsibility to carry forward Walt’s conservation legacy – and I am certainly no exception.”
Disney’s Animals, Science and Environment Line of Business leads conservation efforts in all Walt Disney Parks and Resorts. Our conservation efforts are aligned with the Disney Conservation Fund business priorities and we work to engage our cast and guests in conservation efforts that reverse the decline of species in the wild while creating experiences that immerse our cast and guests in program that inspire them to protect the natural world. We also partner with Disney VoluntEARS to provide opportunities for our cast to volunteer their time to positively impact the future for wildlife around the world.
- Provide primary oversight to our Reverse the Decline program for butterflies
- Lead strategy development with our partners to maximize the successful conservation of butterflies using the Open Standards for the Practice of Conservation
- Lead the development and implementation of the Walt Disney World butterfly conservation program that supports butterfly recovery in FL and various states/countries that are business priorities for Disney
- Work in partnership to manage a colony of Atala butterflies and lead reintroduction efforts to monitor the success of these efforts
- Develop and conduct research studies to support key initiatives for butterfly conservation efforts with an emphasis on studies that be conducted in priority business areas for Disney
- Collaborate with partners to develop and provide successful public education programs that engage kids and families in caring for butterflies
- Leverage Disney assets and talent to maximize our contribution to conservation efforts worldwide
- Manage the wildlife monitoring program for Disney cast
- Publish the results of our scientific, education, conservation investigation in peer reviewed journals
- Partner with various divisions within the TWDC to leverage expertise and to share information that continues to promote and disseminate our butterfly conservation efforts.
- Ph.D. in Entomology, Conservation Biology, Wildlife Ecology, or related field or MS with at least 3 years leading butterfly conservation efforts.
- Strong experimental design and analytical skills
- Demonstrated grant/proposal writing, scientific publications, and grant/proposal critical reviews
- Experience with the Open Standards for the Practice of Conservation and Miradi
- Ability to work as part of a team, strong interpersonal skills, and the ability to create engaging experiences for the general public
- Informal education and program development
- Experience with AZA institutions and professional societies