Director of Strategic Conservation Initiatives
Conservation Leadership in Vermont
We are seeking a proven leader, eager to embrace the opportunity to deliver leading edge conservation outcomes that will advance the Conservancy’s mission in Vermont.
Our initiatives include science-driven land conservation to advance resilient and connected landscapes in Vermont and across the region, aquatic health and connectivity, and climate mitigation/adaptation. The Director of Strategic Conservation Initiatives is a member of the Vermont senior leadership and leads the conservation team of the Vermont chapter. The Director will influence the strategic direction of our work, build alliances with public and private partners who have shared goals, and drive our work to produce tangible outcomes that benefit both nature and people.
The ideal candidate has deep conservation knowledge, excellent people skills, hands-on experience inspiring and managing a highly motivated team, knows how to forge successful partnerships, and has some experience raising revenue. The Director will be a strategic partner in developing statewide and regional conservation initiatives. We value collaborative approaches, diverse perspectives, and encourage innovative ideas and recommendations.
Qualities We Seek
- Demonstrated conservation leader with strong track record of proven results.
- Experience managing a multi-disciplinary team of professionals, including working at a senior level.
- Recognized success as an inspiring leader with the ability to unite work around a vision, give clear direction, set stretch objectives, innovate, and establish accountability.
- Experience developing programmatic strategies, complex or multiple projects, including managing finances and coordinating the work of professionals, non-profit partners, community groups and/or government agencies.
- Experience negotiating complex, high-profile or sensitive agreements.
- Excellent time management and organizational skills.
- Exceptional presentation and/or facilitation skills.
- Bachelor’s degree and 7 years’ relevant experience in conservation-based work.
How to Apply
If you are passionate about conserving and protecting land and water and believe in the mission, principles and values of The Nature Conservancy’s approach to conservation, please find a more detailed job description at www.nature.org/careers search for position number 45956. We invite you to submit your cover letter and resume by January 21, 2018. This position is based in Montpelier, Vermont.